1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gk 700rb through cab with less wattage?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by osroc05, Feb 19, 2014.

1. osroc05

osroc05

Just wondering if I would be damaging my head (GK 700rb) or speaker if I'm playing through my cab that has a 15'' speaker rated at 4ohms 300 watts. I know the head puts out does 480 watts at 4ohms, so I should be fine as long as Im not cranking it to the point that the speaker beings to gyrate wildly?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Right, as long as you don't hear the speakers farting, everything is fine.

3. TripleDouble

TripleDouble

Short answer: You'll be just fine, just don't crank the amp or the low end on the head. I ran that head with a single mystery 15" for years and it sounded good.

4. osroc05

osroc05

great thank you, I have another higher impedance cab with more watts that i had in mind when i bought the head, but wanted to make sure it was cool to run with the smaller cab described earlier for a smaller sized gigs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Strictly speaking, cabs don't "have" watts. They each have a power-handling capacity that can be measured and rated according to various criteria, the most common of which is the thermal power rating, typically expressed in RMS. But conceptually, the power (i.e. watts) comes from the amp. Amps "have" watts.

MM