1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gk 700RB vs. Mb-800 fusion

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 98evanb, Mar 25, 2014.

1. 98evanb

98evanb

I currently own a gk mb 800 fusion, and it has the sound i need, most definitely. But It doesn't seem to handle the volumes that i need to get in the bigger venues that me band plays, and I'm currently using a mark bass 210 and a gens benz 4x10. Has anyone had a better experience with the RB series verses the Mb? Thanks.

2. jjperkins

jjperkins

I have played both the Rb series are loud! I prefer the rb though. I haven't really played the fusion 800. just the 500.

3. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I'd be interested in this

In fact I have a trade ad on my local craigslist to trade my Shuttle 9.2 for a GK 1001RB or MB800 fusion

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The MB800 Fusion isn't loud enough for you????

The 700RBII sure won't be then.
    The 1001RBII is more or less equivalent to the MB800, IMO.

If you really need a lot more than either of those offer, I guess you could go to the 2001, but, it might be better to double up on speakers instead.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Yeah I would start by selling the MB 210 cab and getting a matching GB 410. Now you'll have equal power distribution between the two cabs (and all the speakers). Your cab setup is inefficient so the head gets the blame. NOT FAIR!! ;)

7. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

With a matching 410, both cabs would have to be 8 ohms to work with either amp since they can't handle a 2 ohm combined load. I agree with Chef's assessment.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "both 8 ohms"

yup.

You put that MBFusion with two good cabs and you'll freak.
    When I need to move Big Air, I use either two GK Neo 212's, or, an LDS 12/6/1+12 sub stack.

I never, ever need to push the head much with either of those cab setups.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

If you decide to transition from a Class D amp (the MB Fusion 800) to a Class G amp (the RB700-II or RB1001-II), don't expect them to respond quite the same way - particularly at high volume. While the power section of a Class D amp is designed to remain focused and clean, even when pushed hard, that's not the case with a Class G amp, which is designed to "hit the rails" at high volume, i.e. achieve an aggressive, yet controlled FET harmonic distortion.

Have you factored this in to your considerations? :eyebrow:

MM

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I assumed the 410 is an 8 ohm cab since the OP said he was using both the MB210 and the GB410. The GK is designed to shutdown when facing less than 4 ohms so it's a fair assumption. Unless there's a problem with the head, replacing the 210 with an identical 410 will solve his volume problem. 8 speakers with 100w per speaker. The limits of the 210 held back his whole rig.

;)

11. Jim C

Jim C

Not a direct comparison but I just bought a 400RB and the MB500 will arrive today.
    I am curious to see if the MB500 feels as stout as the 400RB, SWR SM400, and SVT.
    Just for grins I will also compare to a 7-Pro.
    After last nights little test the 400RB seemed to be plenty for a rock / R&B gig (with headroom) at least with a Berg HT322.

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Interesting experiment for sure. My experience with the 400RB is it's output exceeds it's ratings, probably for the reasons MysticMichael said about "hitting the rails" while achieving that aggressive tone that rockers like. Paired with that Berg, nice little rig!

13. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You need more speakers if you want to be louder.

14. Jim C

Jim C

The OP has 6x10 so one would think that there should be enough cone area and effeciency for volume.
    I was reading this more as does a class D amp have the same umpff as a SS amp.
    I suppose this will be the new debate as opposed to tubes are louder than SS all things being equal.
    I don't say this in disrepect as it could be true.
    OTOH the TH500 I had was crazy loud, just not my favorite voicing.

15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The OP's rig isn't really a 610 because the 210 is getting 400watts (2 x 200w) and so is the 410 (4 x 100w). In a true 610, all speakers will get around 133w. Nice and even.

With one volume knob, the 210 will over-excurt before the 410 does and the 410 will sound different compared to the 210. The fact they use different speakers complicates matters further (efficiency, cab design etc...).

A good 610 would be a vast improvement over what he has now. I suggested getting an identical 410 because it's the cheapest way out of his predicament, especially if he can sell the 210, and buying another head won't fix it.

16. audionut36

audionut36 Supporting Member

I recently traded in my MBF800 for a Fusion 550. My issue was tone at high(er) volume. The 550 seems to carry the tone louder without straining or getting brittle. This observation was made driving a Neo 412.

17. Jim C

Jim C

Yes, good point although the Markbass is rated at 400 watts RMS but agree that an equal amount of power to all speakers (especially when matched) would be the best plan.

Maybe my definition of loud is very different than the OP as one would think a 4x10 GB cab and 800 watts would be very loud.

18. Jim C

Jim C

Just set up my new toys; ancient 400RB and brand new MB500.
    Like the 400 slightly better at low volumes but the MB is King at high volumes; could gig with either but I could make the 400 clip (at stupid volume) through a Berg HT322 and the MB just got painfully loud.
    A few weeks and a few gigs will be the deciding factor.

19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I was thinking the GB 410 BY ITSELF might do the trick while EQ'ing up the mids when pushing it. Both cabs together is the problem IMO. The 410 would sound subdued in comparison because each speaker is getting half the watts compared to the 210.

20. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I use to own a gk 700rb-II and it is pretty loud for a solid-state. the only minor drawback I've experienced is the control knobs would tend to get scratchy. when that happens, the sound on the amp would start cutting out. however, that problem can be fixed by contact cleaner sprays.

If you want another choice for a bass amp, check out the hartke lh500. this hybrid bass head is pretty loud, has a simple but flexable 3-band eq, and it sounds totally awesome.

21. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

MBF800 not loud enough???? You need more drivers, and I found that it really likes to be run at 4ohms, get a 4ohm 4x10 or 4x12 and you will NOT be wanting for DBs, in fact you will be told to turn it down more often than not.