1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK 800RB Need's Repair?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fito Moreno, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Fito Moreno

Fito Moreno

I have a GK 800RB and every so often it cut's completely out. No power, it takes a while but then it comes back up. Any ideas suggestions or helpful hints. Sometimes it even works all through a gig or rehearsal with nothing.
  2. 62bass

62bass

Get a short instrument cord and use it to jump from "out" to "in" in the effects loop. Sometimes these sockets fail and it effectively cuts off the preamp from poweramp. If it doesn't do it again that's the problem. I had that problem on a GK400RB as did several others.
  3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

You know this might be something as simple as the plug or lead your using to plug into the amp.Check all the simple things first.It also might be something alot more serious. However for best results I would post in the amps forum. Ask a mod to move it.
  4. Fito Moreno

Fito Moreno

I checked all plug's and they are clean and look good. Basically it shut's off, then if I wait a few minutes it comes back on. This is intermiten and I can't figure it out. Anyone know where I can get scematics, I heard that there might be a thermol cut off sensore inside when it gets too hot.
  5. 62bass

62bass

Try what I said first. Sometimes these jacks become intermittent. It might be it. It's not a matter of them being clean or not. There's a 3rd connector in these jacks that sometimes fails.
  6. tightbidness

tightbidness

Hey man I have a .pdf of the schematic. If you PM me your email address I'll send it to you.
  7. The Clap

The Clap

That's not something you'd want to do, unless you know that the sensor is malfunctioning, which is something you probably won't be able to determine. If it's shutting off due to thermal conditions, it's better to have it shut off and return 5 minutes later than to let it stay on for 5 minutes more and possibly burn out forever.

Does the sound cut out and the light stays on, or does the light go off as well? If it's the former of the two, definitely try running a cord between the effects send and return as suggested. Otherwise, any experienced amp tech should know an 800RB inside out and be able to get you fixed up.
  8. Fito Moreno

Fito Moreno

It cut's out and the light goes out as well. I can check the sensor and I'm preatty technical to fix it on my own.
  9. jcpassport1

jcpassport1

...7 years later....
    resurrecting my 800RB.... was having intermitent drop outs...sure enough the cable in the effects loop solved the problem.
    Thank you!
    Is there a real fix worth doing??
  10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Open the case and spray a quick shot of DeoxIT or RidOx on the effects return jack with a cable plugged in. Un-plug and plug back in several times. Problem solved.
  11. jcpassport1

jcpassport1

Thanks. I tried that. Still wierdness that keeping the effects loop closed fixes. Sometimes a tap, or flipping the power switch can make the sound come and go. But if effects cable is in its solid. Must be some other circuitry in the picture? The inside of my unit is incredibly clean as well.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  13. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Yup. Hard-wire around (bypass) the effects loop jacks. I was having these problems with my GK 800RB, replaced those jacks countless times, Finally decided to just bypass the dang things. No problems since. Of course, now the effects loop is disabled and no longer functions. But i've never used effects. :smug:
  14. throbgod13

throbgod13

i know in the 400RB that the effects loop connects to the main PCB through a white molex connector.. the coating on the pins and the sockets on the plug are two metals that cause a galvanic reaction.. if the 800RB has a similar molex connector, pull it and use a stiff bristled toothbrush wet with DeOxit 5% and scrub the pins and the molex connector.. then spray the connection and plug it back together..

if it's wired directly to the PCB, either reflow the solder.. or desolder it and resolder with a better grade of solder.. at the same time, you might want to check the actual wire to see if it is corroding inside the jacket.. if so, replace the wires in the entire effects loop..
  15. B-string

The corrosion that happens is called "fretting", it happens to low voltage/low current connections. You could either try re-tension
    of the effects return jack (this will also provide a new contact point), replace the jack or wire around it.
  16. jcpassport1

jcpassport1

OK.
    I traced most of the effects jack wires going back to 1 fat white molex connector on the preamp board. pulled it off, it looked clean..but I wiped down the spikes on the board, and sprayed the plug. Put it back together, now I could faintly hear the bass w/o the effects cables in.
    So opened it up again... got a brush did all the molex jacks I could easily reach. Now sound is back..after an initial static. Will keep checking it for the next couple of days.
    Thank you all!
    Time to become a supporting member for sure.
  17. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

This thread may save my GK a trip to the doctor. Mine has been cutting out at random as of late. I will try to patch the send and return.
  18. B-string

99% of the time that is the cause :)
  19. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Gonna give this a whirl Sunday when I get to be with my loud fun stuff.
  20. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    The other 1% of the time its just the volume knob off :D