1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK amp gets HOT! Less than 4 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mad Mux, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mad Mux

Mad Mux

My drummer recently "acquired" an older GK 115 which is loaded with I think the original EVM-15B....it's so old and beat most of the text is worn off the backplate so I can't read the resistance, but the GK literature says 8ohms, and EV website says 8ohms for the EVM-15B. My multimeter sucks, it says 0 ohms, I know that's not right....

So when I play with this cab and another Eminence 8ohm-loaded cab, my poor little GK400RB gets super hot, like almost too hot to touch! That's not normal, cause last night I played the same room at same volume with two different 8ohm cabs, and the amp barely got warm at all.

Any ideas? Could this actually be a 4ohm cab and I'm overdriving my amp? In any case, I've stopped using the cab 'cause I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 400RB and don't want to risk burning it up.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Depending on the range you have selected on your multimeter zero Ω is what you can expect. it's actual DC resistance should be around 5Ω for an 8Ω driver. if your amp is complaining by overheating I suggest you don't use the cabinet in question unil you find out what exactly is residing in there.