GK Backline Cab Quality?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Plectrum72, Apr 6, 2014.

1. I did a search and found a bunch of threads about the Backline 600 Amp, but not a whole lot about the cabs. What little info I found was from 2006/2007 saying the amps were pretty good, but the cabs were garbage. I usually see a bunch of them going for $100 or less on GC's used site, which leads me to believe a lot of people who bought them don't care for them; however, the price is very tempting to throw together a cheap full stack, 3/4 stack, or half stack.

So I guess my question is are they really bad sounding cabs or did they just get a bad rap because they are "entry level"? I'd appreciate comments from folks who actually owned them. Thanks.
  2. RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    They are/were the bottom rung in the GK line. The one place not to skimp out is on your spkrs, but play them first before you buy- make your own judgement.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    They're really bad sounding cabs.
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I got a little "note to self" on one of their 410 cabs I ran into at a rehearsal venue, let me see if I can go find it....here it is:

Note to self: Don't ever buy one of those things.

5. Sponsored by:

6. Yeah, I played through one of their 2x10" cabs at a backyard party and it was pretty rough. Save your $$$ and get some better quality stuff.
  7. Thanks for the feedback. Definitely explains the abundance and low prices of these over at the GC used website.
  8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com

Are the Goldline cabs (heck the amp, too) any better?
    Just wondering. They ask about 2x what they ask for the Backline cabs. I thought I read here that the Goldline was an exclusive to GC run, just a prettier Backline series, but don't remember reading anything about quality specifically. Anyone? Had 250 head (pd $50) and a 600 head (free + fan replacement) and even at those "deals" let them both go quickly. Goldline stuff any better? It's cheap, too, so I think I already know the answer.
  9. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The amp head is a sleeper value, Robert Gallien responded to that question once. The components in that head are the real thing. The cabs I have not heard, yes they were a GC etal only build before they picked up MarkBass and their own "Acoustic import".
  10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I have been curious about the head. It seems like a halfway point.... It looks laid out like the new RB's, but has a price point (used) closer to the BL's.
  11. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Not sure if I remember correctly, thought I had saved the post. The poweramp was the 700RB II without the horn amp stuffed and the preamp was I believe the early MicroBass (MB).
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    The Goldline cabs are just as bad IMHO.
  13. Funny you should hijack asking about the goldline cabs. I happen to have picked up a used 210GLX a while back for $125. It gets the job done. Took some knob tweaking to get it where I want it, but no complaints now.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    .. several years ago, I picked up a 'Brat Pack' GK combo that was being blown out from MF .. it was a BL250 head, and a BL115 cab .. cab was terrrible ... very heavy, MDF I am pretty sure, and sounded like mud ... I would have liked to experiment with the head a bit, but I needed to send it back with the cab ...
  15. hsech

hsech I like my gear vintage. Just like me. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I've had good luck with the neo cabs.
  16. Vic Winters

Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    GK Neo cabs can be found dirt cheap, and they're very solid.
  17. hover

Oct 4, 2008
    If more companies with otherwise great reputations would just stop making crap boxes in general, the world would be a better place, and the market would have clear division lines between the true low-dollar **** (Gorilla / Acoustic / et al) and the real deal gear (MarkBass / Aguilar / Ashdown / Ea / Phil Jones, etc etc)...and the market would not be so glutted with awful rat fur pawn shop-level fodder.

I know WHY they do it, I just wish they DIDN'T.
  18. lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The Goldline stuff was a GC exclusive. I had the head for awhile, and it was a beast. Didn't really have that GK sound, it was beefier and more old school. Mine survive being submerged in flood water for about 12 hours. I let it dry out for a few days, and it powered right up. I used it for about two years after that until I got my Genz Benz stuff.

The Goldline cabs, however, are garbage. Sounded bad and blew really easily. Avoid at all costs.