1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK Backline problems.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Haywood_Jabblom, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Haywood_Jabblom

Haywood_Jabblom

I need help finding a new cab. I'm currently running a GK Backline 250 head and Backline 115 BLX 1x15 cab. I don't like the sound I'm getting from it. I don't have much money to spend, maybe $500. I need something that can keep up with a full 4 piece band. (2 guitars, vocals, drums) We play a sort of jazz rock alternative. I need something that I can practice with and take to gigs. I mainly play with a S101 bass. I don't really want to buy a new head. I think I just need a bigger cab. Although I've been playing for a few years, this is my first-time venturing into the amp world and I'm a little out of comfort zone here. So any tips help.Also, this is my first time posting in a forum, I'm sorry if I'm doing something wrong.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

First welcome and you are not doing anything wrong. That's what the amp forum is for.
    The BL250 is only rated for an 8 ohm cab and you will need speaker area with those 125 watts so this would be my choice on a brand new cab http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/410MBE-II8400/ if you ask you usually get at least 10 to 15% off of the listed price!
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Been my experience that the Backline heads are surprisingly good and the Backline cabs are surprisingly sucky. You do need a bigger cab, but get something good and not a Backline. Meh bass + meh amp + great cab = great sound. Great bass + great amp + meh cab = meh sound.
  4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Well it has a DI out which would be helpful for gigs provided they have a decent PA. For practices, what about angling the cab back a bit to get sound away from your ankles and towards your ears?
  5. B-string

I am also not the biggest fan of the BLX or GLX cabs, they serve a purpose for low cost starters. The MBE cabs will turn more of the watts into sound (efficiency) and sound better doing it.
  6. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

There is a gk neo 410 for sale in the classifieds for 300 shipped. That is a steal, and the cab's awesomeness will blow you away
  7. B-string

That's a heck of a deal on a pro cab!
  8. Haywood_Jabblom

Haywood_Jabblom

Could you post a link?
  9. Haywood_Jabblom

Haywood_Jabblom

Could you post the link, please?
  10. GK Growl

GK Growl

125 watts? Is that enough for the OP to compete?
  11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/gallien-krueger-neo-4x10**$300**-philly-area**-1035601/

Welcome to TB. :)
  12. B-string

While G-K is conservative with power ratings that is why I'm recommending a 410 cab. Per the original post he wants to stay with his amp head. :cool:
  13. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member