GK Backline problems.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Haywood_Jabblom, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Haywood_Jabblom

Haywood_Jabblom

I need help finding a new cab. I'm currently running a GK Backline 250 head and Backline 115 BLX 1x15 cab. I don't like the sound I'm getting from it. I don't have much money to spend, maybe $500. I need something that can keep up with a full 4 piece band. (2 guitars, vocals, drums) We play a sort of jazz rock alternative. I need something that I can practice with and take to gigs. I mainly play with a S101 bass. I don't really want to buy a new head. I think I just need a bigger cab. Although I've been playing for a few years, this is my first-time venturing into the amp world and I'm a little out of comfort zone here. So any tips help.Also, this is my first time posting in a forum, I'm sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

First welcome and you are not doing anything wrong. That's what the amp forum is for.
    The BL250 is only rated for an 8 ohm cab and you will need speaker area with those 125 watts so this would be my choice on a brand new cab http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/410MBE-II8400/ if you ask you usually get at least 10 to 15% off of the listed price!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Been my experience that the Backline heads are surprisingly good and the Backline cabs are surprisingly sucky. You do need a bigger cab, but get something good and not a Backline. Meh bass + meh amp + great cab = great sound. Great bass + great amp + meh cab = meh sound.

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Well it has a DI out which would be helpful for gigs provided they have a decent PA. For practices, what about angling the cab back a bit to get sound away from your ankles and towards your ears?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

I am also not the biggest fan of the BLX or GLX cabs, they serve a purpose for low cost starters. The MBE cabs will turn more of the watts into sound (efficiency) and sound better doing it.

7. TinyE

TinyE

There is a gk neo 410 for sale in the classifieds for 300 shipped. That is a steal, and the cab's awesomeness will blow you away

8. B-string

That's a heck of a deal on a pro cab!

9. Haywood_Jabblom

Haywood_Jabblom

10. Haywood_Jabblom

Haywood_Jabblom

Could you post the link, please?

11. GK Growl

GK Growl

125 watts? Is that enough for the OP to compete?

12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/gallien-krueger-neo-4x10**$300**-philly-area**-1035601/

Welcome to TB. :)

13. B-string

While G-K is conservative with power ratings that is why I'm recommending a 410 cab. Per the original post he wants to stay with his amp head. :cool:

14. TinyE

TinyE