GK Boost Question.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SuperRich, Dec 7, 2012.

1. SuperRich

SuperRich

Hey Guys!

Okay, Iv got a GK 1001RB (540watts at 4 Ohms), and a Peavey TVX 410 (350watts at 8 Ohms)

My question is about the Boost effect on the GK. Iv just started playing with a Pic as the sound suits my bands style more (The Killers influenced)

The Boost dial on the GK makes it sound beefy and kind of like a valve head, but its harder to hear if Im pushing the cab to far.

I never really have the volume past 12 or 1. So could I be peaking the cab at this volume? or is it just the Boost effect sounding a bit strong?

Thanks
    Rich.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    No way to tell without listening really.

Other factors that could be an issue involve the EQ and contour settings - more low end=more energy=more strain on the cab. Also the eq on your bass if it is active for the same reason. Do remember that mid cut and volume boost also = more low end = more strain.

One thought would to light up the rig to your *normal* level but clean so you can hear the cab less distortion provided by the boost. Use a simple db meter to compare the volume levels. I use a free or cheap db meter app on my iPhone ...

Knowing the master (woofer?) volume is fine but you have to consider the input volume and the level of signal coming in from your bass or pedal board as well. Using the db meter is a better method as you are comparing like items as opposed to the apples and other fruits thing, eh ?

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The 1001RBII is 700 watts at 4 ohms.

4. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I think older 1001 's have a different power rating.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    True the RB was rated as the OP suggests.

7. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Ah: ok then.

8. El-Bob

El-Bob

The boost knob also adds a considerable amount of volume to the sound, does it not?

9. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Yes it does!

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    If you don't have db meters and stuff, I'd set up a clean sound and turn that up to what sounds like the same volume you're using with your current setting, or maybe just slightly more, ( this probably means running the master a little higher if you're not using as much boost ), and see if you hear any speaker strain/stress. Then go back to your usual settings.

Point is, it's much easier to hear if the speakers are distorting if you're using a clean tone. If the amp is set to what should be a clean sound, and you still hear distortion, it's the speakers.

Yes, the boost adds gain (volume), upper harmonics and dirtys up the tone some. It sounds pretty cool like that, but it can mask the sound of speakers being pushed too far.

In general, your 410 should handle that amp running at 8ohms, unless you're pushing the amp up towards full output or using more than a little bit of bass boost.

11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    If yours is anything like my 400 and 800 rb's, there's a lot of volume left to be had above noon on the master, that pot seems to be fairly linear and not like some amps where the majority of the volume is in the first half of the dial, so, you may not be pushing as much power as you think you are.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

IME, G-K amps are very powerful for their ratings - also, the 700rb and 1001rb( and -II) series put out alot of low end... It is very possible to stress drivers with these amps - especially if you boost low end and/or use the 5 string setting...

- georgestrings

13. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

SupeRich: a few things to note - maybe this all does not apply to you, but as I have no context, I'll have to go from what I know. Forgive me if I cover stuff you know.

On a GK, there are essentially three "volume" type levels. Input, Woofer (which is a master) and Boost. I'd take a look to see whether you are driving your input level too much. I'd also check on whether you are using an active bass or a preamp or something else which boosts the signal before it gets to the amp (getting too hot of a signal). Watch for the clip light - unlike some other amps, the GK clip light indicates how hot the incoming signal is. You might want to try using the -14dB button to cool down the signal, so to speak.

I suggest to try to keep the input volume down between 10:00 and 11:00 or so and let the Woofer do the heavy lifting. From there, you can add the Boost to taste, but you may have to back off the Woofer a bit if the Boost adds too much volume (you should get the same overdrive, but at a lower volume as the Woofer and Boost run separately).

As noted above, also look at your EQ - too much low end or too much Contour can put a lot more strain on the cabinet at volume. I have found that at gig volume, I really don't want to get my the Bass EQ even up to 12:00 (flat) and I generally don't use the Contour. Experiment a bit but don't be afraid of the mids - you might not like the sound of a lot of mid on its own, but it helps add clarity and helps you "sit in the mix".