1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK cab advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Shinji, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Shinji

Shinji

Hey peeps, I'm currently using a GK 700 RB II with a neo 210 cab.

I want to get a second cab as to get the full 480 watts from my amp, what do you think would be best; a neo 112 or neo 115?

:bassist:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

What would be "best" is another identical 210. Read about mixing spkrs all over TB. Matched cabs will always outperform mixed ones.

3. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

Bro. Be patient and wait for a neo 210 here on the classifieds. Neo 115 is voiced tighter than your 210

4. Shinji

Shinji

Yeah I'm having trouble finding a neo 210 cab in Aus and they aren't even on the GK site anymore so I gather they're discontinued
    I was mostly thinking a 12 or 15 to get a wider frequency response, but I'm aware it could cause phasing issues.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ryco

ryco

or you could get a 410MBE. Nice affordable lightweight cab. I'm using one as an extension cab with my old GK1001/210 combo and it sounds great!

7. Shinji

Shinji

I had considered the 410MBE they are quite cheap and the wife pointed one out to me so that would certainly make her happy lol. 6 10s should have plenty of punch aswell

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

But, the 410 has twice the capability, so it will be limited to whatever the 210 can handle. Bot ideal.

9. janel w

janel w

This is great information. I have the same 700RB set up and was wondering if the one 4-10 cabinet would be the best. Which model cabinets is recommended in your opinion?

10. Shinji

Shinji

I'm still keen on the combination of 210 +115(or112)

I don't know why people are so against it here, especially when you see pro rigs they usually mix speaker sizes.
    (yes i know they are going through front of house, but I always go through the PA it's pretty much standard for live performance)

As to get back to my original question what cab do you think works best with the neo 210 (112 or 115).

:meh:

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    The problem is it's a crapshoot. It could work OK, or it could work really badly, and you never know until you try it. Pretty costly proposition if you ask me, so I stick to matching cabs.

12. Shinji

Shinji

I hear ya there, I guess I'll have to look for a different brand cab seeing how it's near impossible to get the same 210 cab here. Not to mention price, Australia gets screwed with the cost of musical equipment compared to the states (the exception was my Thunderbird that I got for a US price, thanks Gibson you rule!).

I like the idea of mixed cabs but it could be a gamble ...or could it?

DEAR GALLIEN KRUEGER, SELL MORE STUFF IN AUSTRALIA!!!
    ;)

13. Gotta P

Gotta P

Trade or sell the 2x10 cab and get an ampeg 410HLF . Sounds good with a GK700rbII.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

That is a good option, to sell your 210 and buy one bigger cab. The 210/115 pairing may work fine, at least they're "close" to each other handling-wise. But, the reason people do this, is becxause they thing 15 for lows, 10's for punch. Nothing could be further from the truth.

15. Shinji

Shinji

hey bro I just saw your rig in the GK club pt6
    (RB1001+neo115+neo212)
    Do you still use this have you had any issues with the different speaker sizes?

16. Wadge

Wadge

I have the GK neo 2x10 cab (I also have used GK 400RB-III and GK MB-500 heads with it). I find the ability to tilt back the cab invaluable using it as a monitor.

For bigger gigs I have it sitting on top of a GK 4x10 sbx. It does sound good but the thought that each speaker in the 2x10 cab is getting roughly twice the power of what each speaker in the 4x10 cab gets bugs me. You can tell by looking at the stack that the top speakers in the 2x10 are working harder.

If you like the tone of the 2x10 you could get a 2nd 2x10. Alternatively try it on top of a Neo 15. I tried the cab and really liked it but I haven't tried them together

17. Shinji

Shinji

Yeah I'm totes happy with my sound, it's probably just a case of trying my current rig with a neo 112/115 to find out.
    It's just been hard to find GK gear in my area, so I may need to order something in just to try it.
    Before i bought my 700RB, I tried a 1001RB with a neo 212 cab and really liked it. Then I tried the more compact combination of the 700RB+neo 210 at another one of their stores, so I've got a fair idea I may like the 210+112 combination.

...but i did try the 1001rb+neo212 with a bass that wasn't mine.

18. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I'm having a similar debate with myself, actually! I understand that mixing cab sizes can cause phasing, but I really want a Neo 115 to go with my Neo 410. What exactly is phasing? I hear about it all the time on here, but don't really know.

I also realize that the 410 handles lows better than the 115 according to their specs. I just can't help but want a 115/410 combo, it's been a dream of mine since starting bass, and I realize that that's not an infallible reason to buy something. But I've also heard that a 115 handles lows differently, or has a different sound about it. Sounds like personal preference to me, but does anyone have any experience with this?

On a purely financial basis I might have to go with the 115 since the 410 is a couple hundred more dollars. Has anybody tried the 115/410 combo? GK is pretty popular, someone should hopefully have some experience!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Love the help here on TB!