1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK D.I Pre or Post?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jacobrownoly, Dec 30, 2012.

1. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

I have quick question regarding the D.I on my GK 1001-II bass head, If I want MY sound from the amp, should I go pre or post on the D.I switch?

OR

Would I be better altogether using the D.I on my Sansamp?

Many thanks :hyper:
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you are using a Sansamp in line with the GK, then "your sound" is a combination of both. If "your sound" is just the Sansamp, then use its DI. If "your sound" is just the GK, then adding a Sansamp would be a mistake.

Whether to go pre or post EQ on the GK depends on how much your sound depends on that EQ. For example if you use dramatic EQ changes for super dubby or scooped sounds, then you want those to go to the PA, right, so you'd go post EQ. OTOH if you mostly just use the EQ to adjust your rig so it sounds decent on different stages or in different rooms, then for the PA you should leave those changes to the soundman, and send him a pre-EQ signal.
  3. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Most of my EQ is just flat, a dont use the sans amp, I just use it for the D.I. I think i ll just stick with the D.I on the GK and go POST.
  4. cableguy

cableguy

as long as your EQ isn't drastic I would go post. (read between 10:30 & 1:30) If you use a lot od EQ, or contour I would go pre.
  5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Sounds like a good idea!