1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK Fusion appreciation thread (all kinds - 500 , 550 , and 800)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player

I did a search in the amps section and didn't see any threads devoted to the appreciation of GK Fusion amps.

I will soon be buying a GK Fusion head (Just not sure which one yet). I know the MB Fusion 800 isn't released yet , but I added it to the thread title so I don't need to change things up when it is released. I made a thread about "what is the best GK head" , but would like to narrow things down to just the Fusion heads.

I would love to hear from owners of the Fusion 550 and the MB Fusion 500 to see what they think of their Fusion amps (Pros and Cons). There were a lot of positive comments on them in my 'Best GK Head' thread.

I'll be sure to post my comments when I make my decision and purchase one.

Thanks - Looking forward to hearing from you.
  2. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B

I have had the MB Fusion for almost a year now and I really like it.

I bought it used as a back up to my GB Shuttle 9.0 and actually ended up using the Fusion more so I sold the 9.0.

I am currently running it with a Baer ML112 with great success, really loud and thumpy with excellent clarity.

The only negative for me is I am always going FOH using the Fusion's D.I (which sounds great) and when I turn off my amp during breaks it sends a very loud pop to the mains so I have to make sure the board is muted first.
    Not really a big deal but I have never experienced this with other amps D.I's before.
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Why would you turn your amp off during a break? That is what the mute switch is for, or just turn down your bass. IMO!
  4. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B

Yea no need, I guess it's just a habit over the years, if the break is longer than 1\2 hour I usually turn it off.
  5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Literally no benefit in doing that, especially with an amp like your GK that has that 'popping issue'. All downside. Mute it and you are good:). If you have been pushing the amp really hard, actually keeping the fan running is a better strategy than turning it off, although again, with class D amps, heat is a non issue.
  6. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B

Ok you have me convinced, I will leave it on from now on:D

It really is a great amp especially for the price.
  7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Sorry for the OT, but since you mentioned the 'pop' was an issue, just providing a simple fix to eliminate that issue.
  8. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Padulla I had a feeling you might start this Thread. Glad you did. Being I only have or had one GK head its the MBFusion. So I look foward to seeing it grow as I kind of think GK really made a hit with this amp. For an amp where size and weight matters its a nice choice. Last night I used it with two DB12's and I was impressed. Well the Aguilar DB12's sound good with just about anything, but still enjoyable. I had to really rush in and out and having a small package was really nice.
  9. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player

Thanks! I just figured that I'd start a thread dedicated to the Fusion amps to narrow the focus on the two amps that I am trying to choose between for my purchase. With my SM9.2 possibly selling tomorrow I need to make a decision within the next couple days. Plus - I figured why not start a thread dedicated to the Fusion amps to let people share how much they like (or dislike) these amps and give some pros and cons to help people (like me) who are considering purchasing one. Or just a place to give some Fusion love...
  10. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking the same.
  11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I've had the Fusion 550 for four or five years now. It has replaced any amp head I've owned. It has done small intimate to outside without PA support brilliantly.
    Last night we did a New Years gig, we over-packed the some what small venue. Still with a NEO212 II I didn't get over 9:00 on the master and we were pulling folks off the street.
    I have every bit of faith the MB Fusion will perform (sound) every bit as brilliant. Just lighter.
  12. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player

Thanks for your input B-string. Sounds like you had a fun gig last night!!
  13. Bassist30

Listen if you want to turn your amp off. Turn it off. Most of this thread has been whether you should turn your amp off or use a mute switch. But if you are using a DI out you usually will hear a pop out of the main with any amp.... Do you like the sound man. If he is doing a bad job and you hate the bass sound shut the amp off. if you like what he is doing use a mute switch. Thats a better idea. So lets go on with the Fusion. Now my question, You like the fusion more thn the 9.0? why? Based in a live situation.
  14. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

I, for one, think the GK amps all have a baked in kind of tone, otherwise known as the GK sound. I have owned a few of the heads, but never played a Fusion. How does it compare with, say a GK RB 700, or one of the MB heads, as far as tone goes ?
  15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You missed the point here. First, most amps will not 'pop' through a DI when you turn them off. Second, he was talking about turning the amp off during breaks, which has nothing to do with liking or not liking the front of house vibe. Easy fix, which turns a negative of that particular amp into a non-issue.
  16. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

As a general rule the most stress on an amp head is at power up. It is worse on tubes (the increase in wear is slight but there).

It was an awesome night thanks!
  17. ksandvik

ksandvik

I keep my MB Fusion 500 on all the time at the gigs -- it has pre-amp tubes and its nice to keep them warmed up all the time.
  18. Bassist30

I did not say an amp pops I said when you shut an amp and you are using the di the mains pop. In other words out of the pa you will hear a pop ( or squeak) when you use the DI out of your amp into the board of a PA. Enough Kjung who cares let the guy do what he wants.
  19. Bassist30

So all those who own a fusion and used it last night what did you like the most? besides the pops.
  20. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

I really like the 550. It does not have the "GK" sound, to me. Very warm and versatile.