GK head, Ashdown cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by edaz91, Dec 13, 2012.

1. edaz91

edaz91

Hello everybody. I am planning to buy GK 400RB-IV (280W 4Ohm) head, and Ashdown ABM-414H (650W, 8Ohms, 4x10") cab. Will this be a good combination in terms that I want enough sound to play at small-medium gigs? Sometime in the future I'm planning to buy Ashdown MAG-115 (1X15, 250w -just to get more low end).
    I'm not sure if the head is powerful to get the job done. :crying:
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It will work fine, but read up on that 2nd idea. Adding a 1x15 to a 4x10 does NOT add more low end, it creates an imbalance between the 2 cabs. Much to read here on TB, but if you're willing, you can learn alot.
  3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I would think a 400RB into just about any 410 would be more than enough for small to medium gigs. Forget adding the 115.

And yes, you are generally best off matching identical cabs. Two 115 cabs, two 210 cabs, that sort of thing. The head sends the same juice to the same number of speakers per cab that way.
  4. sconix

sconix Supporting Member

If it'sreally a ABM 414H, that's a 4 ohm cabinet. So adding another cab might be out of the question with the 400rbIV
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. edaz91

edaz91

What you think about Ashdown MAG-300H head + Ashdown ABM-414H cab? Is it better than 400RB-IV? Mag is cheaper, but I'm not sure which to choose... I want to get bass tone similar to Flea's from RHCP. :)
  7. IPYF

IPYF

Flea uses a Gallien Krueger. Ashdown amps are warmer and more vintage sounding than GKs; they're a great amp but they have a subtler tone shaping and are very midrange oriented. The first thing you note when you hear Flea's tone is how glassy it is. That's why he uses a GK. Few amps can boast that plucky high end clang without sounding too hi-fidelity.

If you want to replicate Flea's tone I'd definitely go for the GK head. Going with the Ashdown cabs is not a bad idea in the slightest.

You could do what I do and get a Trace Elliot cab. The older Traces are inexpensive s/h and they have that funk holler that makes for an awesome slap tone. I've got more treble in my sound than most of my scene counterparts and the guy on the desk usually loves me for it. Lot's of frequencies to work with.
  8. edaz91

edaz91

I think that I will probably stick to GK head and ashdown cab. But wont the cab will be underpowered by 280w head? The cab has ~600W+ ... ? :)
  9. xroads

xroads

If you turn your amp all the way up, yes.
    Otherwise, no.
  10. mudpup

mudpup

Ashdown amps are not mid orientated in any way in my opinion. I sold my ABM500 to replace it with a GK for that very reason. The Ash is big, pillowy and whumpy.
  11. edaz91

edaz91

12. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Underpowering? There's no such thing. Even if you turn your amp completely off, it won't damage the speakers.

Stop listening to salesmen and marketers. Read more TB.
  13. edaz91

edaz91

Funny thing is , that I've read about underpowering in TB :D
  14. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Cabs do not have watts. Cabs handle a certain amount of watts, usually about 1/2 to 2/3rds of what the marketing people say they do, so your combination will work fine.
  15. bobalu

bobalu

I have an ABM 500 II and have to agree with this. Not mid-rangey at all to me.