GK Head for Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x10 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nopalfunk, Dec 6, 2013.

1. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Hi everyone

I need your help, I'm thinking to buy an old Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x10 cab (8 ohms), but I don't know which head could work fine on it, I want a Gallien Krueger head, I've been looking around and seems the RB series it's nice, but there's a lot of options, the 400RB-IV could be a good option?

I don't have the exact power of the Cab, but seems it can give around 300 watts....and the 400RB-IV it's for 280 watts(4 ohms).... or the 700RB-II option but it's for 480 watts (4 ohms)..... and to be honest I don't know to much about ohms, or if the head must support a higher or lower wattage than the cab...

what's your opinion about this mix I'm planning to do? it's a good idea?

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

First the cab does not give watts. The cab is rated for INPUT power, amps are rated for OUTPUT power to a speaker.
    To get full output power from a SS amp head that is rated at 4 ohms you need two 8 ohm cabs (prefered) or one 4 ohm cab.

Either amp is capable of driving those 2 10" speakers to the edge of usable input power. If you need more sound output add a second cab.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

4. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

I'm totally lost, you mean I'll need an extra cab? Or an 8 ohms head? Sorry but now I'm using a combo, so I'm totally lost in this...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

The one cab will be driven well by either amp. When a SS amp says "4 ohm minimum" it will drive any higher number. If the one 210 will not get loud enough (not a cab for really loud or medium size gigs, too small) with it being an 8 ohm cab you can add a second 8 ohm cab. Two 8 ohm cabs equal a 4 ohm load to the amp.

7. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Thanks, Now it's clear, I have a GK MB210, do you think it's a good choice replace it by this option? Now I have a bad feeling about it....

8. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Anybody? It seems my GK 210 combo is exactly the same thing vs this mix, right? Mesaboogie diesel 210 with a GK RB700 or GK RB400 head. Actually it's going to be used only for practice at home....someone here thinks could be a good idea make this change or I must continue with my combo? there will exist a big difference between them? in terms of sound? Which of these 2 option it's going to sound Louder and nicer? big fan of Tool, RHCP, RATM, QOTSA....:bag:

9. jfn77

jfn77

I have the MB210 combo and I find it loud enough in a smallish rehearsal room with a thrashing drummer and two loud guitarists. I haven't heard how that Mesa cab sounds, but to really "improve" your situation you'd like to have two of those cabs with a RB700-II. For home practising the MB210 combo is more than enough -- if you're happy how it sounds. But again, I haven't heard the Mesa. :)

10. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Someone knows something about those mesa boogie amps? It's going to be difficult find a extra cab later? Or I've been thinking, this mesa boogie could be connected like an extra cab in mi GK MB210?

11. B-string

Do you have this G-K MB210 http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/350/MB210-II.jpg or the older metal grill? If you do you can add a second 8 ohm cab. This will then give you 500 watts from the MB500 amp head in the combo. Whether the Mesa will match well with the internal speakers is going to be a try and see.

12. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

The old one, with the metal grid, but it's supposed the older can handle an extra cab too....do you think I'll obtain a different sound with the Mesa and a GK rb700 head vs my MB210?

13. B-string

Yes it will be different. Your combo's amp is right now capable of 350 watts into the internal speakers. The 700RB II head into an 8 ohm load is rated at 320 watts. No real difference in amp power (takes big numbers in watts to hear a difference). The 700RB II is more aggressive, more grind if you want it. The MB series more on the clean side natively.

Yes the older metal grill has an extension speaker jack for an additional 8 ohm cab.

14. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

I'll think about it, I'll try to sell my MB210, and test the mesa boogie before, I supposed I can find easily a GK700RB head on eBay ....and if I need more power in the future I can add an extra cab, maybe a Mesa Boogie 112 or 115....or whatever in 8 ohms

15. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Hi, is a good deal: $500 for an old Mesa Boogie diesel 210? please consider I'm outside USA and it's hard to find vintage Mesa equipment, and I can pick it directly in my town

16. B-string

I'm sorry I just don't understand what you hope to accomplish by going from a 350 watt 210 combo to a 210 separate. Just in my opinion, there are very few 210 cabs I would spend that much on IF I was looking for a small cab and that is not one of them.

17. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

thanks for opening my eyes, I will seek a larger cabinet, maybe a 410 or 412, could you recommend me a model? I'm looking something agressive....a lot of mids

18. B-string

My suggestion? You have a G-K MB210 combo, add a 212MBE or NEO212 II under your combo. Plenty of well projecting mids from G-K's neo 12" speakers. You want to stay with 10s and get a separate amp head Mesa has a nice 610 the mids I am not sure about. PM JimmyM he'll know what Ampeg cabs fit that bill. There is also Hartke, Peavey, bigger money Berg.....