GK input stage question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 9M2E, Apr 4, 2014.

1. 9M2E

9M2E

I have recently obtained an MB210-II combo with a 1x15 extension cab. I use a wireless and switch between my active sterling or sting ray and my jazz bass with Barts that are substantially lower output than the active basses of course.
    Normally I use a 700rb head with the _15db PAD off and just change the out put setting on the wireless unit to compensate for the difference in output. The 700rb has a clip light and the MB combo does not, the settings i have been using consistently for a while with the 700rb do not clip. Would it be safe to assume if i use the same incoming volume levels from the bass and wireless on the combo that i use on the 700rb with out the clip light engaging that I will NOT be clipping the input on the combo..if that makes sense?..lol
    I sent an email to GK almost 2 weeks ago and have not gotten a reply and would like to know before I gig this set up tomorrow night.

Thanks!
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Knob position is irrelevant, but if you're clipping the input stage, you'd hear it. Use your ears.
  3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

GK heads are set up to be gain-staged in just about any way you want:
    crank the input, then use the master to set overall volume--this will give you the classic GK grindy sound.
    crank the master and set the input volume for overall volume--this will give you a very clean sound.

And use your ears to make sure your speakers aren't farting out. :)
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1, Yep. ^^^ This.
  5. 9M2E

9M2E

I am aware of how to obtain my sound ive been using GK for 15 years. Im just trying not to abuse the MB combo's amp. I guess i should have just plainly asked does anyone know if the inputs are the same sensitivity / same clip threshold instead of explaining the set up ....Thanks.
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The RB series has a much higher overload ability (as does the MB800 and fusions). There is no absolute guarantee but you should be just fine, Gallien has his own standard set of engineering beliefs.
    jason@gallien.com is a good contact, better than the generic "service, info" type headers on emails.
  7. 9M2E

9M2E

Thanks Bstring!
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

No trouble, enjoy the Gig!