1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK MB 200: Part Two

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

My favorite head, hands down! Thx Chef!

3. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    In on this brand spanking new one.

4. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Thanks, Chef!

Have I mentioned how much I lub this little baby head? :bawl:

--Bomb :bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The reports of noisy MB200 amps from a couple posters in the previous segment really have me scratching my head. Mine's never had any issues. It'd be very interesting to get GK's take on it. I think one poster was domestic, at least, and I do agree the amp should be able to be "quiet" in a given location if other amps are. At least from a general perspective. Given different amp technologies, maybe some power issues could be exacerbated by some specific designs, but I've never heard of it before.

7. johnpbass

johnpbass

Just ordered one on Saturday based on all the good reviews from you all here. I hope to receive it (maybe) this weekend.

I'm going to use it initially as a small gig rig - Bass and MB200 in the gig bag, Aggie GS112 in the other hand. It will be interesting to hear it with the GS112/112NT setup though!

8. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Yes. It'll be interesting if GK's take is given here. I'll certainly post my follow-up. Another poster, Loel, said that a GK representative (Bryan) indicated that there is a specific cause of routing of a certain wire. If that's universally the case, clearly the issue is wholly with the amp.

The trouble I have with that, until we hear more, is that Loel said his unit was a very early build and that he was told the problem was being resolved. I just bought mine...it's reasonable to think it was manufactured recently.

I do think that speculation about a contributing/exacerbating factor involving location wiring is somewhat gratuitous at this point and awfully lenient. I think it's debatable that "an issue" that's commonplace and is only apparent with the MB200 can fairly be called "an issue." It's more fairly a failure of the MB200 to properly operate in the normal range of predictable real-world conditions.

Just like you're scratching your head that there are reports at all. Having experienced the problem, I'm scratching my head at someone who says they found a location where the problem goes away.

Out of curiosity, I am going to take mine to group practice this week, before I send it back.

Great demo video, BTW. Definitely rates a "Good Stuff!"

9. KJung

KJung

You can't really evaluate these sort of systemic issues by comparison to a single unit (e.g., 'mine has never been a problem). It is all about problem rates. There have been many, many posts regarding the noise levels of these amps on TB over the last couple of years, and as posted, I believe that GK is aware of the issue.

Seems to be a kind of 'random' thing, and seems to me to be a more of a 'production quality' issue than a pure design issue. I assume this is part of what prompted GK to move production back to the states (as reported by Tom).

That is a good move IMO.

10. drpepper

I wanted to comment on this from the other thread. I definitely want to give this a try.

In my very casual A/Bing at low volume this weekend. I was surprised to get a fairly similar (to me) sound by simply pulling both mids back 4 or 5 clicks (treble dimed) on the RH, and I have my centers set at the BGM "flat" settings.

11. ian_s

ian_s

In with the beer fridge.

[​IMG]

12. Vic

Disclosures:
    I wasn't trying to do that.

13. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Man, this noise issue is such a bummer...I've owned a 700RB-II, I'm currently using a Backline 600 and I'd really like stick to GK and order the MB-200, but this problem is scary; there's no GK dealer in my country so I'd be forced to order it online from a big EU retailer - so it would be a hassle to send the amp back and forth if getting a faulty unit...I really don't know what to do...

14. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Hey guys I'm curious, has anyone here played thru both the shuttle 3.0 and the GK MB200? I'm just curious how the max output seems to compare. Also if they sound much different, especially nearing max output.

15. Puru

Puru

no noise problem with mine, play though a Epi UL110 with tweeter about 11:00

16. Vic

Disclosures:
    That's funny... I also play mine mostly with a UL110! I use it for practice a lot, but I'll be using it with a Thunderchild 112 (Audiokinesis) for an upcoming Jazz gig. Sounds wonderful!

17. drpepper

As suggested in the GK club thread and since direct email addresses were posted (thanks), I contacted GK by email regarding the hiss.

I got a response in fairly short order. It was pleasant enough and apologetic but played fairly straight and close. There was no comment on the issue itself.

The suggestion was that if I'm still in the Musician's Friend return policy period, I should contact MF for an exchange. If I am unable exchange it, then I should contact GK back about sending it in for repair. That's it.

I do want this to work out. I'll post the results of my exchange for another unit.

18. Puru

Puru

I mostly play acoustic music (DI into PA for louder gigs), so this rig is perfect for me. Super-lightweight and sounds great.

19. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

I've got 4 of these heads....none of them hiss...

20. drpepper

So, just curious...as a response to my post, what meaning am I supposed to take from that fact?

21. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

No meaning at all. I've had other issues. I had one fail after plugging it in from a very cold trunk.

Really no offense intended. I love these heads!