1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK MB 800 or RB 1001!?!?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bmrj1, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Bmrj1

Bmrj1

Hey all! I need help! My Gallien Krueger backline 210 has had it's life. I've been gigging 250 days a year for 3 years now and this 11 year old amp is start to fade ( plus I need more power). I'm trying to choose between a GK MB800 or and RB1001. Which is a better option for a guy who's gigs 4-6 days a week!!

BJ

2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

I would go 1001rb-II for that much use. Or even the 700RB-II if you don't need as much power. These amps are roadworthy and can be repaired if needed. The MB series is still relatively new. Don't get me wrong I want a MB series myself, but I would get one after you get an RB.

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Where are you working to gig that much per year?
    Are you on the road?

4. Bmrj1

Bmrj1

Ok I thought so. That makes me feel better. Thanks man!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I'd be partial to the 1001, assuming it's a series II. Kid tested, mother approved. A time tested design that will serve for decades to come, and can still be repaired by common amp techs if need be. It's not big or heavy either. No more than a briefcase full of crap, which old men carry around every day.

Actually, the 700 is enough for most, and gets a little more of the GK growl without destroying common bass cabs or blowing the doors off the club and not getting asked back. ;)

7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Cant go wrong with either. I had both and sold the 1001RB. I like the low end roll off of the 800RB and it had more then enough power

8. gpx1200

gpx1200

id say it depends on the tone you want, I have have a rb700 and a mb800 and the sound differs slightly the mb has a huge bottom end and can get a little boomy if you crank the bass knob to far mine stays around 12oclock cmopaired to the rb wich has a tighter more punchy low end.
    the mb800 can also get insanely loud with good cabs and still be perfectly clean wich is cool because then you still have the footswitchable gain channels that can get very dirty in a good musical way if and when you want it.
    my rb700 found it harder to stay cleen at higher volumes and basically gives a little more grit per volume increment than the mb.
    one thing I do like about the rb1001 that none of the others have is if you are using the gk biamp system (also awesome and only on rbs) when you kick in the high gain chanel the amp automaticly turns off the horns so you can't kill them with distortion

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

MB800. The low end is wider (if you like that sort of thing) and the highs are smoother by a long shot. You can't "toss" a 1001RB-II into a gig bag.

For my purposes, the MB800 gets it done. I've owned about 4 1001RB-II's and while they have awesome grunt, my ears always get fatigued by the clanky solid state nature of the high end. YMMV

10. WingKL

WingKL

You are trading off the compact size and light weight of the MB800 against the ability of the RB series amps to produce the classic GK growl. The 700RB is probably the sweet spot of the RB series amps in terms of power and tone. You probably will not miss the extra headroom of the 1001RB vs the 700RB unless you are running really inefficient cabs.

11. Bmrj1

Bmrj1

Wow guys! Thanks for the info! I have decided to go with the RB 1001 on the fact that I like that "growl" tone of GK. They are both great amps don't get me wrong but I think I'll just have to go with the the one with more time in the field.

12. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    The 1001RB has so much headroom is gonna be hard to get the growl at a reasonable volume. I used one with both a 810 and a Neo 212. Its loud and has a ton of low end

13. Bmrj1

Bmrj1

So my 1001 came in!! And I'm super stoked on it! I'm running it through my backline 210 and laney rb 410 cabs(soon to be replaced with proper cabinets. Here's what it looks like! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391359128.327169.jpg

14. Bmrj1

Bmrj1

Amazing sound! I really like the highs on this thing. It pulls them out good! I didn't realize it had a 5 string bass mode which was pretty cool I thought since I play a fender 5. No complaints so far...

15. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Glad you like it. Just be careful with the 5 string mode at higher volumes. That can send a lot of low end through your cabs. Use your ears and if you hear your speakers start to distress, try the 4 string mode to see if it's the extra low end, or just the volume causing it. Now, have some fun with that amp.:bassist:

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Good choice. Can't go wrong with that. :smug:

Frankly, if I were on the road constantly, and the choice was between an RB and an MB, the RB would get the nod for sure: a 700RB-II for clubs and other lower-volume venues, and a 1001RB-II for playing loud in theatres, auditoriums, large halls...and outdoors shows. Definitely more rugged, rackmountable, and relatively worry-free.

For gigging around town primarily, however, an MB800 makes more sense. Especially if you can keep it nearby or on your person at all times, in order to minimize the chances of damage (never trust other people to handle sensitive, breakable gear - unless it's been made virtually idiot-proof). Lightweight, compact, yet powerful. A very easy schlep.

MM

17. GK Growl

GK Growl

How much headroom do you need? If you are trying to get some growl I would imagine with an 800 watt amp you'd have to push it into stupid loud territory to get the desired sound.

18. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

That'll knock some pictures off the wall and still hear every note you play!

19. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

I bought an MB800 in December of 2012 one of the first units shipped, it has been used for over 150 gigs and countless jam sessions.It is nothing but bulletproof fits in my backpack and weighs a fraction of the RB heads. Get what sounds right for you but as far as reliability goes, the MB heads are just as good as anything available today.

20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Get a 700RB head and an MB200 as a backup. Since you gig a lot, your covered.

21. Bamboo633

Bamboo633 Supporting Member

I have an MB2-500 and a 700RB-II. I like the sound of the 700RB better but I bring the >5lb MB amp along for backup.

Both amps together cost me about $700 including footswitches and gig bags.

Best of both worlds...