GK MB 800F vs. GB STL 900

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Up the dose, Feb 14, 2014.

GK or GB?

1. GK MB 800F

71.4%
  2. GB STL 900

28.6%
  1. Up the dose

Up the dose Supporting Member

I'm considering both of these amps for my next amp. I play in a modern country band and use Ernie Ball and Fender 5 string basses.
    This head would be used with two GK 1x12 cabinets. I really like the GK MB series but, I don't need to have two channels. After comparing both heads I also like the knobs on the GB a bit better. The plastic knobs on the GK seem a bit flimsy to me. The GB looks like its made better and is easier to use. (Not a fan of the dual function knobs) Would love to hear from people that have played both why one is better over the other.

2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I have to admit I never played the GK but the 900 I own and it is a great head.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Im biased, but I voted GK. I am a GK fanboy and I love that GK sound. They make great gear as well. The MB800F look sweet. Cant say Ive really played GenzBenz stuff.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Love my Streamliner 900 would love to try a MB800F. You can't go wrong either way. I'd imagine the GK could get more aggressive than the Streamliner.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The GK has two channels just like the GB has two channels. I wouldn't call either an actual channel, just a gain boost sort of thing.

I had a Streamliner 900 that I liked, but I found it too finicky with cab choice. In the end it just didn't do it for me. GK has always sounded great to my ears, so I'd definitely grab the MBFusion if it were me.

Are you able to try out the Streamliner? It seems to be a love/hate type of amp. I loved the concept of it and gave it a strong chance (gigged for over a year) but I couldn't get it to make the sound I wanted.

7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I am a GK and a GB fanboy, and currently own both a SL900 and a GK MB800 (although not the Fusion).

What do you want to sound like?

Fat, cushiony, pillowy lows and a luxurious feel? Streamliner.

More up-front and more versatile? GK MB800.

8. Up the dose

Thank you bassgod and jasper. You have confirmed some of my concerns. It would seem that while I would prefer the construction and ergonomics of the GB, the tone of the GK is better. Would it be fair to say the GK can get a lot of the fatness and warmth of the GB, but the GB cannot get the same articulation and presence of the GK?

9. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

I have both. They are two different animals! The Stl 900 is warm and fat and the Fusion 800 is bright super clean or you can dial in that GK grit! The Fusion even being 100 watts less than the Streamliner can get a bit louder and has tons of headroom.
    They are both amazing in there own way!

10. Up the dose

OK Mikeee. You have both. Good. You are exactly the person I want to speak to. Which one did you have first? What was the reason for purchasing the other?

11. Mikeee71

I had the Streamliner first. Then I bought the Fusion. I bought the Fusion based on the rave reviews it was getting on here. Like I said they are both great just different flavors.
    I think the Fusion is more versatile. But for old school fat warm tubey the Streamliner is hard to beat. The Fusion has a warmth to it. But nothing like the Streamliner.
    Both have very good bottom end I think the Fusion is deeper and the Streamliner is wider in the bottom end if that makes any sense.

12. Renato Pires

Renato Pires

Hi guys,

Im thinking on purchase the GK MBF800. Mike, u combine the MBF800 with a full stack?

My main doubt is find the "balance" between highs and low's. Im my experience of 1x15 + 4x10, it seems that the 15' cabinet sounds "less" [in terms of volume] than 4x10...

What do you think?

King Regards,

13. Mikeee71

I use a Fearful 12/6/1 and a 15/6/1 with the true 3 way crossover I have never had a gig where I needed both.
    I tried them together once with both heads and it was crazy loud! The Fusion had more
    power than the Streamliner even though the Streamliner is rated higher. But the Streamliner is no slouch either!

14. Mikeee71

I think the Fusion would work with just about any cab! But the Streamliner is a bit more picky.

15. Renato Pires

Renato Pires

Hi,

Thanks Mike for your report. I start thinking on GK Neo Series...a few days later on GK RBH Series...and i heard hear lots of cheers about Bergantino... im..."confused" lol [about model/brand and, after this, combining the cabs...]

I think that 8x10its a good hypothesis...or 1x15+2x12+4x10 (or 2x10)...

What do you say about this options and about the GK series ?

King Regards,

16. Mikeee71

I don't have much experience with those cabs. I played my Streamliner thru A NEO 4x10 and it sounded good. But that is about all I have on those.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've had both.
    I used the SL900 for one gig and sold it.
    Great power, totally not my tone. Too fat down low, not enough mids, and very relaxed treble. My Sadowsky did not sound like a Sadowsky thru that head. Some folks love it though.

I got the MBF500 next, and was very happy with it. Til the MBF800 came out, then I got one of those as well.
    Very much more my tone.

Both great, but, very different.

18. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Also:
    The MBF and two of the GK Neo 112's?

Really, you might want to think about getting the MBF500 instead.
    The MBF800 makes enough power to hurt those 112's if you're not careful.

19. Renato Pires

Renato Pires

Hi Chef,

No, MBF800 with 2x112 will hurt them so quick.

In my [long...] search, im thinking on GK RBH Series or Bergantino...

Well, in my little Warwick 25.1, i like to slap with contour on 3'oclock, or more... so, thinking "racionality", i prefer the lows and the highs...and i think the Twelves enhance the mids [with more low end than 10' cab off course]...

Im Wrong?

King Regards,

20. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    I'm sorry Renato, I don't understand...........

21. Renato Pires

Renato Pires

Hi chef, im saying that i like less mids and a little more of High's and Low-end.

So, my first choice, a few days ago, was 2x GK Neo 2x212 or GK Neo 412.

But i think that in Twelve inch speaker we have more mids...

On the other Hand, a Classic combination [1x15+4x10 / 8x10] its a good choice, i think.