GK MB Fusion 500 Review

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bongofour, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Bongofour

Bongofour

Here goes;

Last night I gigged my new GK MB Fusion 500 for the first time. ,ran it through my MB 4x10 standard. Bit O' tweeter on like I likes it.
    Played with my main bass (MM Bongofour). Full PA support.

All settings at 12 o'clock. -14 Db pad pressed. I gravitated towards using my boost knob on my bass just a touch. It was very, very nice. I had the limiter on, contour switch at 800Hz, presence off, deep switch off. This resulted in an almost Tony Levin type tone. I focused mainly on using channel "A" in order to familiarize myself with this amp first time out. I did however use channel "B" for one song which was "My own worst enemy" by Lit. This resulted in the grind that is supposed to be associated with this channel. Very good indeed.
    Throughout the entire night, I did not need to fiddle with any of the controls/EQ!
    All colorations came from my Bongo. Very easy and likeable tone from the start.
    Gain "A" was at 12 O'clock, master"A" was at about 12:30. Plenty lound and concise.
    After the first set, i listened in on the fan. It was relatively noiseless. Although not silent. The amp still remained room temp to the touch. At the end of the night, the amp was warm to the touch well within reason. I love the orange-ish glow from the tubes.
    While performing "California Girls" by The lovely Katy Perry, I got to test a bit of the GK's slap sound. Again, very nice. Snappy and well defined highs. Present lows with thumb downstrokes. I was not looking to hear anything. No struggle at all. This was a medium-large venue gig.
    Compared to my GB Shuttle 9, the voicing is definately different. Seems to have a more defined mid range.
    Overall, I absolutely fell in love with the GK. I purchased it as a "back-up". It is an amazing piece of gear. Worth the money for sure.
    I can travel with both amps in one medium sized roller back pack. This also includes all cables, my wireless system, and other knick knacks.
    I will probably end up doing the bratty thing, and taking out whichever amp I feel that night!!!
    More to come as I use it more.
  2. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris

Darn. GAS. I have the Fusion 550 and love it. But anything that makes my roadcase lighter would be appreciated and very cool!

Thanks! :)
  3. Wadge

Wadge

Never got to try the MB Fusion 500 but if it is anything like the MB 500, it will be a great amp.
  4. Bearwolf

Bearwolf

I've been considering feeding my G.A.S. appetite by getting either the mbfusion or the fusion 550. I'm currently using a mb115 and wouldnt mind a little more power and functionality. How much or rather what it the main difference between the 550 and the mb500 fusion other than biamp'ing on the 550, low and high boost switches? I've done a little reading on them, but dont see what all makes the 550 so much more expensive over the mb fusion??
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bongofour

Bongofour

Bearwolf;

In my preliminary experience with the MB Fusion, I do not see the need to enlarge my rig with anything other than the MBF500 and my 4X10.
    It was plenty loud and articulate with proper tweaking, albeit the tweaking was minimal.
  7. tubaman2

tubaman2

I'm a little late to the party, but I was wondering if you are able to get a nice natural tubey growl/warmth/edge without it being too much. I'm sure you can get it pretty distorted, but does it do just a little bit of growl well?
  8. willsellout

willsellout

I don't think the MB Fusion holds a candle to what the Fusion 550 delivers. It's a great head, but it's not nearly as dynamic and versatile. The Fusion 550 is an amazing head. But yes, it is big.
  9. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

anymore thoughts on the Fusion head? I am stuck without being able to try one. I really liked the MB500 but feel like I gotta give the fusion a go before deciding.
  10. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Good review man, appreciate u taking the time
  11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

The Fusion 500 is the only regret I have about purchasing the terrific little MB500: I could have ponied up for some tubular preampishness, but didn't.

Thanks for taking the time to review it!
  12. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I have to check this amp out!