1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK MB Fusion 800 or TC Electronics RH750

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by diglo, Mar 12, 2014.

1. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    BASS4yourFace!
    Looking at getting a new amp. These are the ones I'm thinking about. Have any of guys played both for a comparison? I like vintage, but like for it to cut also if needed. The MBF has tubes, so the vintage warmth will come in to play. But can the TC get that warmth also? I guess which one has more controllable highs. I know GK's can sizzle, but played a 550 Fusion and was impressed. The TC looks scares me, too digital looking. Lol!!! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. KJung

KJung

Massively different sounding heads.

TC750.... sounds almost identical to the RH450, but with a more extended top end. Still that same compressed, vintage, midrange baked in voicing. Nice if you like a 'fridge' sort of midrange complexity and tight low end.

The MB800 series is big down low, super bright up top, and extends way into the sizzle range. The definition of a modern, aggressive voicing to me. Very subtle impact of the tubes in the Fusion MB models. The sweet spot for price and performance IMO is the MB800, assuming you like the GK voicing.

If you want it warm and fat and organic up top, the Aguilar TH500 is a MUCH better option versus the TC750... louder, less compressed, more powerful EQ in a more simple, lightweight format. If you like it wide and modern, the MB800 is impressive.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1 to the TH500 over the TC.

4. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    BASS4yourFace!
    Ok. So you're saying the tubes really are not helping the MB FUSION 800 compared to the regular MB800?
    I've owned the TH500 a couple of times and just didn't do it for me. I guess it was too mid heavy to my ear? Currently have a tecamp black jag, like how it can get vintage and modern, plus my basses sound nice through. Also, I have an Ampeg PF800, but it's not doing it for me...one bass sounds great through it and the other one doesnt. Looking for a backup to my black jag.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Jayne

David Jayne

I've not played one but apparently the Fusion's tubes don't make a 'night and day' impact on the tone. I've got an MB500 and it's just as Ken described.
    If you didn't like the aggie I doubt you'd like the TC. They're more similar than different.

7. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    BASS4yourFace!
    Thanks dmusic...

8. audionut36

audionut36 Supporting Member

I had the TC recently and traded it for a Fusion 800. The TC just wasn't to my taste.

9. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    BASS4yourFace!
    @audionut...how are you liking the gk? I've owned a GK RB2001 1001, liked them both, but the MB500 was too bright for me. But my ear changes so much. What might be bright to some may be what I'm looking for.

10. audionut36

audionut36 Supporting Member

I like it. It's closer to the 550 than the MB500 (haven't tried the Fusion 500). Very articulate without being sterile or glassy. Great mids and controlled lows. I do back off on the treble a little. Very loud, and two channels with a foot switch. Actually, I like it a lot.

11. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    BASS4yourFace!
    Ok. I went with the GK MB800 Fusion. This lil amp is BEAST!!! It still has that GK brightness, but I'm a lil more experienced and can tweak amp and bass to get whet I want. Yeah...I have to bring treble back to 10:00 position. It fills my cab up real nice, doesn't take much to rattle house! Lol Gotta gig Saturday at BB Kings, can't wait! Thanks for the advice guys!

12. David Jayne

David Jayne

It sure is, enjoy!