1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK MB Fusion HPF

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jack, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Jack

Jack

Hey all, quick question.

I've been liking a bassier and bassier sound lately, and I'm a little concerned I'm hitting my speakers with too much rumble. Amp is a GK MBF, the 500w one and speakers are either or both from a Barefaced midget and compact. I know people talk about micro heads being quite steeply hpf but I'm curious as to whether I'd benefit from something like a fdeck? I've no desire to buy any extra gear, but nor do I want to crease a very expensive barefaced speaker cone.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You'll hear distortion long before you cause any permanent damage.

3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Nothing like getting an answer straight from the company!

You may still benefit from the fdeck if you want to "tighten up" your sound. I found it to be a big help with all of my heads, including a GK micro. The fdeck's variable control let's you adjust the frequency for different rooms, too.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You can't say something as general as micro heads don't have decent high pass filtering, because some do and some don't.
    Just like every other kind of amp.

However, yes, an fdeck with the MB series heads is a good thing, and useful.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jack

Jack

Thanks very much guys! I'll do without for the moment, even though I think I've talked myself into buying an fdeck anyway!

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Any of the Fusion series don't have much of a roll off and the MB series even as full SS were designed to be UB friendly so an fDeck 3 sounds like a solid plan. IMO

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an fdeckIII, and I use it "when the room asks for it."
    Mostly, I like the hefty low end of the MBF's, but, in a boomy room, it makes it easy to fix.