1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK MB112 replacement

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LennyPenny, Sep 13, 2013.

1. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Hi all,

I have one of these combos (the old one with the metal front cover) and I'm thinking of upgrading. I'm considering a Markbass mini cmd112p. I know someone who has one of these and is very happy with it. I used it once by itself in a small acoustic bar gig, and once with a Markbass 112 extention cab and I think it sounds great and would be plenty loud for anything I'd need it for in the near future.
    On the other hand, a part of me is saying "get a bit more than you really need and go for one of the new MB112s with an MBP112 (or maybe even MBP212) cab". Then I could use the combo for anything small, and still have the option of expanding for larger gigs.

The question is how much louder/fuller would the combo + cab setup be than the Markbass by itself? The former is about 200 euros cheaper than the latter, so I seems to make more sense to go with that.

Alternatively, I COULD get an MB500 head with two 112s. Then I'd also have a lot of flexibility, but it would be considerably more expensive.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I play in a pop band with a few different influences (reggae, jazz,..) consisting of keys, a not-too-hard hitting drummer, guitar and bass.