1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK MB112

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by basilbass, Mar 13, 2014.

1. basilbass

basilbass

I have the chance to pick up a GK MB112 at a bargain price. I have a K&K Bassmax pick up on my upright. Will the GK do the job?

2. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

I believe I read some things about the series I not being lined with any damping material (insulation). If I recall correctly that caused it to sound 'boxy'. I further believe that the Series II corrected that.

I had a series II MB115 which worked fine for DB. I expect the 12 would work fine as well - it's the same amp section.

What is a bargain price? I bought my very clean series II for $250 and sold it a couple months later for $235 when I got my Phil Jones for DB and more recently a GB Contour 500 for EB.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

3. basilbass

basilbass

Thanks for the reply, it's a series 2. The seller bought it in July 2013 so it's less than a year old and only gigged three times. They retail at £300 ($490) here in England and its for sale at £200 ($330)

4. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

Sounds good to me. If it turns out you find something you like better you should be able to get you money back.

Good luck and let us know how you like it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BHBassman

BHBassman

Nice speaker for UB with the tweeter turned OFF.
    Good for the price.
    Depends on the amp, bass, strings, PU, EQ, room-etc., etc.
    (Played through a tweeter-less Bergantino 12" cab more than double the $ that had the best sound for me. Speaker cab isn't made anymore.)

7. basilbass

basilbass

Got the MB112 on Friday and used it at a rehearsal today. Sounded great no feedback issues (so far) everyone in the band said it sounded good.