1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

gk MB115-II into a GK MB212

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pbonepickens, Nov 29, 2013.

1. pbonepickens

pbonepickens

Does anyone know if there were be any issue running a the XLR output of a MB115-II into a MB212? Can I just have a cable convert the XLR into 1/4 inch or will there be impedance issues etc? I have the 115 and I love its light weight but loud output. Just joined a new band that I will require more power (sometimes) so I saw this 212 for $390 on CL and thought it would be a perfect (cheap) way of either of keeping up with the guitarist :)D)/larger room by either just using the 212 or chaining the 115 into the 212. I do have a Ratco splitter so I guess I could do that as well? Any experience chaining a XLR out to a 1/4 input on amps like these? TIA.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The splitter would probably be best. The DI won't be strong enough to drive the poweramp of the MB212 and the chain out may be too powerful? The Direct out is also 600 ohm balanced so going from that to the input of the MB212 might not work so well?
  3. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    It actually worked when I ran 1/4 cable from the active input of my mb210 into the passive input of the mb115
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I use a Lehle splitter to drive two amps that can't be slaved.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/lehle-p-split-splitter-guitar-pedal

Other TBers also use the Radial BigShot switcher to drive two un-salvable amps.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...neering-tonebone-bigshot-aby-passive-switcher

TIP: Also make sure both amps are plugged into the same AC power outlet.
  5. pbonepickens

pbonepickens

OK so I found I actually have a XLR out to 1/4 in cable converter with a high/low ohm switch. So I took my MB115 to the guys house and tested running from the XLR direct out into the Active input. It worked fine with the cable switch set to low (I believe it was on the low ohm). I ran test both ways just so see if there was any differences, which there was:
    1. MB212 direct out IS a direct out. Only the initial gain control affects it
    2. My MB115, the direct out is actually patched in between the Boost and Master gain controls! Changing the EQ, and/or Boost also affected the signal going into the MB212.
    3. The MB212 is hissy as **** compared to my MB115. I was really surprised at the difference. However, the hiss was not present on the direct out, leading me to believe the hiss was induced in the power stage of the MB212.

So the answer to my original question is: Yes this can be done with just a cable! Because of the notable hiss, I didn't buy the MB212, but maybe I should.....I just couldn't put the trigger....damn that quite MB115!
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The noise was probably from the way you hooked them up. Forget that, just use a buffered AB/Y pedal, OR stereo fx pedal. Bass to pedal, 2 lines to each amp. Done.