GK MB115 Issues

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shawshank72, Sep 21, 2013.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

I recently bought this a few days ago (first generation) and was going to try it out this weekend for a show and a rehearsal.
    The grill was buzzing badly so i found a thread on it and removed it.
    There is nothing between the plastic grill and the cabinet.... Wow
    I inspected the speaker and it had a clump of something on it.
    Really?
    It may be a non issue with speaker operation but i believe if i buy an amp brand new it should pass a quality check and issues like the grill should be taken care of by the manufacturer before i buy it.
    I took a picture. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1379770614.214930.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1379770628.687889.jpg
  2. Joedog

Joedog

Hmmm....my gen 1 has an aluminum grill, not plastic?? I'ts screwed right to the baffle (like may other cabs). Never a problem/rattle. Possibly the screws were loose? Don't know about the "clump". Maybe a dollop of glue or solder???? Have you contacted GK customer service?????? I'd be surprised if it was anything more than cosmetic, but just guessing. Let us know how it turns out!

I'm surprised there are still brand new gen 1's for sale!!!
  3. shawshank72

Sorry if i confused them, i guess it is aluminum.
    Screws not loose, took the cover off and no rattle. Put back on and tightened and rattle returned.
    Up here in canada a few Long and Mcquades have them, reason i bought it was it was almost 200$ less than the new black ones and considering our 13% tax it saved alot of money.
  4. Borzi_4

Borzi_4

I own the same amp and had a rattle issue with the grill. After a few days of trial and error, fiddling with the amp outside, I solved the problem. I removed the GK logo from the grill and stuffed a couple black tube socks with old towels and put one in the top left and the other in the bottom right corners.

Hope this helps!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

Yeah, get rid of the logo...it's a boat anchor, anyway! ;):D
  7. azureblue

azureblue

Solve the logo rattle with some clear silicone sealer. I put a thin piece of single sided sticky tape between the grill and cabinet to make sure.
  8. shawshank72

That seems easy enough but having crud on the speaker is really pissing me off.
  9. shawshank72

Where as this amp sounds incredible, it dosent sound that way at enough volume.
    That and the vibrating grill and muck on the speaker cone i will be returning it.
  10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, it’s just to small for your needs - get a bigger amp.

Oh, and yeah the grill rattled on some of the early first generation MB combo’s - mine rattled a little too, but was easily fixed by tightening up the screws.

Anyway yeah, just return it and get a bigger amp/rig.
  11. shawshank72

Its a shame that it is too small.
    I had the yorkville xm200 which is same wattage and speaker size and it was plenty loud enough.
    The gk sounded way better but just not enough volume with the same specs.
  12. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but, the Yorkville XM200/XM200T are badass amps. The fact you can use a 4 ohm (or 2-8 ohm)extension cabinet opens up the amps potential greatly. What happened to yours?
  13. shawshank72

It was stolen.
  14. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that.
  15. shawshank72

Thanks.
    Keeping my eyes open on kijiji, up here in canada there common. Just nothing close enough yet though.
    Would love to try the xm200T this time.
  16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Sorry I read your amp was stolen, that sucks.

Yeah the MB115 is a good sounding amp. Oh well, better luck with your next amp.
  17. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

The MB115 sacrifices some speaker sensitivity to get that great tone, so it is not as loud as some other combos of the same 'rating'. To get that GK tone AND more volume you will need the same or more power (MB200 or MB500), and one (or more) of the larger GK cabs.

I've checked out a lot of bass drivers and found that many had glue blobs and other non-significant 'defects'. The most common ones are excess glue on the dust cap and surround, and stray glue blobs.

Grill rattles are common to many brands, and easy to fix.

My MB115 has a foam damping gasket between the logo and grill, and is silent.
  18. shawshank72

If i had the money i would get the mb212 and problem solved.