1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK MB115 series ll first impressions (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Davyo, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo

Just got my GK MB 115 series ll to keep all the rest of my GK gear company and I gota say I'm pretty happy so far with just the little run thru at my house,,, will use it on my first gig this Sat night in a med size venue with my fairly loud rock band,,, I will bring my Neo GK 4x10 cab and MB500 just in case the MB115 can't cut it in the med size venue,,,, but I'm thinking the MB115 is going to handle it just fine,,,, it got pretty darn loud and shook the walls in my house.

On a side note,,,,, I thought I would hate the big chrome GK logo but seeing it in person now has changed my mind,,,, it's just the right size and I must admit looks kinda cool in person.

Cheers
    Davyo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

A few thoughts purely on the design.

1) Over all a really cool look
    2) The rececessed handle looks great, but I'm curious how well it functions.
    3) The lack of interlocking corners seems odd considering that they sell a powered enclosure to run with this combo.

3. Davyo

Davyo Davyo

Yea,,, it do look cool in person,,,, the handle seems to work fine,,,,, the MBP and MBE cabs are interlocking and have slots on the top for another MBP or MBE or a combo to stack on them.

Cheers
    Davyo

4. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

I have the 1x12 with a powered bottom cab and a 1x15.

They have "feet grooves" in the tops of the bottom cabs.

The recessed handle functions as well as any other top handle.

I really cant complain.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Dave, how do they do the porting on that cab?

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

way cool, looks nice. depending on the room and of course the band - you might be surprised how large of a room that GK MB115-II will cover.

8. Bredian

Bredian Supporting Member

Just picked up a 2nd GK MB 115, split them out of my pedal. Selling the old pair of 410 BLX speaker cabs. My pair of combos weigh 70 together, each 410 weighs 95+.

9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, the GK MB115s are only 35lbs each - I love the new lightweight GK bass equipment. BTW, I use a Lehle P Splitter to driving two amps simultaneously that can’t be slaved (it works better than just using the stereo outputs on a stomp box) - but of course, David (the OP) can always just add a GK 115MBP power cabinet to his MB115-II if need be.

10. Davyo

Davyo Davyo

Hey Joe,,,,,, yep,,,, I'm thinking about getting the 115MBP,,, but also kicking around the idea of getting the MB212.

I always like to have extra gear at a gig in case something blows up,,, the problem with the MB115 and MBP115 configuration is if the combo blows up I will be screwed as my MB200 or MB500 heads can't be used to power the MBP115 or the combo.

I currently have besides the new MB115 ll, a GK Neo 410 cab, a MBE115 cab, an MB112, a MB210 and the MB heads I mentioned,,,, so I got lots of gear to pick from and take along to gigs as backup, which is what I will have to do,,,,,,, if I just rely on the MB115 and MBP115 I take a big chance on being dead in the water if that combo dies some night.

Hope my rant made sense.

Cheers
    Davyo

Ohhhhh,,, I almost forgot,,,,, I used the new MB115 ll last night at a gig but sadly the gig ended up being a keep the volume way down gig,,, so I didn't get a chance to hear what the new combo could do,,,, I guess I will have to wait till the next band rehearsal to push the MB115 and hear what it can put out.

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Thank you for the update. BTW, I wouldn’t be surprised if and when the MBP-II power cabinets come out they’ll have a regular line input added (by-passing the amp) too. Or maybe the MB-III’s will heave a chain output and input. I’m curious how well the MB-II’s stack with the MBP‘s - so if you get one please post about it. When I stack my two MB115s, I either stack them on their side or slip two rubber pads near the rear between them when stacked upright and use guitar cords with an L connector on them. Anyway, incase Rag reads this - just some food for thought.

PS - I have GAS for the new little 100w, 21lbs, MB110.

12. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Hey Davyo!!!

How does it compare to the old MB212 you sold me......which by the way is still rockin'! (you can see it behind me in my avatar) I'm still amazed at how loud that little amp is and how good it sounds with a VTbass in front of it.

13. Davyo

Davyo Davyo

Hey Marcus

Great to hear my old MB212 is still going strong for ya.

Not sure how my new MB115 ll would compare to it but I know I'm thinking real seriously about getting the new MB212 ll when it gets released as I am missing the one I sold you.

I'm getting too lazy to lug around my GK Neo 410 cab for the bigger gigs,,,, perhaps the MB212 ll could fill that spot.

Cheers
    Davyo

14. rdcowan

rdcowan

I just got one of the new 115 Mk II. Does yours turn itself on when you plug it in? Seems odd when I turn it off after a gig and the next time I plug it in the light around the switch comes on and the amp is up and running! Strange. Love the sound though.

15. Davyo

Davyo Davyo

Is MK a brand of amp,,, I can't think of which one it is ?

Cheers
    Davyo

16. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I think he means the MB115 II (Mk II).

17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I have a GK MB115 and it's an awesome amp, but that shouldn’t happen, something is wrong with your MB115-II amp - if you just got it, exchange it for another one.