GK MB150 vs PJB BG100 bass cub

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mrRiffer, Feb 15, 2014.

1. mrRiffer

mrRiffer

Can't decide which one to keep... Just got the PJB but had the GK for a while and always been pleased.
    Anyone who tried/owned both?
    Basically I prefer my GK slightly and for gigs by car/van there is no issue but hauling DB + amp on trains and busses is so much easier with a 6 kg amp than a 12 kg amp... one of the amps has to go.
    I know there are a lot of GK users but it would be intressting to read comments from anyone who gigged the PJB BG 100 for a while.
  2. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

Greetings Stockholm!

I've never played thru the MB150 but I did have the PJB Bass Cub. I initially bought it because (besides being tiny) it had 2 channels and I was interested in blending a mike with a pickup. Although as others have said it's great for gigs you could 'almost play acoustically' I found that even on those gigs it was a little less than I wanted and I ended up getting a PJB Super Flightcase and the Cub stayed home until I sold it to an acoustic bass guitar player who uses it in an acoustic group.

You can't beat the portability of the Cub, especially with that nice bag. For me, living in the land of the automobile as I do, schlepping the 33 pound SFC isn't a problem.

I still have GAS for a little grab and go (even though I totally don't need it!) I posted a question about comparing a new GK MB110 (21 pounds), the Ibanez Promethean (23 pounds) and the Carvin MB10 (26? pounds). I didn't get a reply but if anyone responding to your question has any knowledge of those I'd be interested - not meaning to hijack the thread).

Hope my answer might have helped a little.

PS to further confuse things, have you considered the PJB double 4? I'm guessing it would have the same limitations of the Cub but with the passive radiator perhaps a different sound.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
  3. mrRiffer

mrRiffer

Decided to keep the PJB bass cub. Half the weight is half the weight. But after some serious comparing it's also half the volume or even less... Hope I won't regret this on stage.