1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

gk mb150e tone

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pbass888, Feb 7, 2014.

1. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Ive been playing a littlemark ii and the ny 121 cab for the past couple of years. Recently (about 4 months ago) picked up a well used gk mb150e combo. I have been using it for its portability and ease of use here as all my gigs are done using public transport (subways busses etc).

I love the tone of the gk combo and am thinking about something with a bit more watts for a certain gig. Would the gk folks recommend the gk mb 200 or the 500. Since I wont carry a lot (so probably a 15 cab is out of the question) , is a new gk head with my 121 cab the way to go?

I play weekly jazz gig and a little bit of fusion jazz ,and do a pop gig a few times a month as well (without drummer in the pop gig).

Have loved the tone of ampeg and gk in the past. Any advice for this straphanger . Finally from time to time I bring out the dawghaus so need something that sounds good on both.

thanks in advance!
  2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

The 112MBX extension cab for the great MB150E and MB150S combos will give you a lightweight boost in watts. You may need something with more power but my MB150S / 112MBX was a great little stack.
  3. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

I have an MB150e, the 112MBX extension cab, and an MB500. The MB500 is virtually new, just had it a couple months and have primarily played my upright through it. It is sitting on the top of an older Ampeg B15T cabinet (flip top) to replace the original 100w amp. I also changed out the speaker in the flip top to an Eminence Legend 15-8.

I think the MB500 would be a perfect match for the NY 121. The MB 500 will do 350 watts into an 8 ohm load and that is the impedance of the NY 121. The NY is also rated to handle 400 watts, so you have enough cabinet to handle the amp

I think you would like the MB500. It's about the same size as the MB200 and weighs about 4 lbs. Very portable. Will fit in the pocket of some gig bags. It should do you well for portability and tone. With the MB500 pushing it, the NY121 will probably be significantly louder than the MB150.

If you go with the MB200 and and your NY121 8 ohm cab, you would be at less power than the MB150 with it's 112 extension cabinet, but more than the MB150 alone.

Hope I told you something useful.
  4. pbass888

Thankyou jx and Remus! Both very helpful . I think I have to goto my local Sam ash and try out the extension cab and the mb500. I've read a lot about the mb 500 here on tb. Look forward to trying and will report back.
    Thankyou!
  5. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

A brief comment about my own comment

This is not necessarily a true statement. If the efficiency of the 12" speaker in the MB150 and the NY121 is the same, it's likely you could get more volume out of the MB500 with 350 watts available pushing the NY vs. the MB150 by itself (75 watts) or with the 112MBX (150 watts).

If the MB150 speaker(s) was significantly more efficient than the NY, the volume thing might be closer to equal.

Another thing to consider, the NY is ported and the MB150 & it's extension cab are both sealed. That will probably make more difference in your perception of the sound out of each.

Bottom line to me would be the MB500 and the NY likely gives you more juice & still has the portability. If you do happen to get in a situation where you have an 810 waiting on you when you arrive at a gig, and you need it, the MB500 in your gig bag will really be handy.
  6. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

The MB150E is an incredible amp. What I do is add a highly effecient extension cab. I have a MBX112, but if the gig calls for a little more volume, I use a Fearless F112, made in Okoume I think it weighs around 33-35lbs. This cab makes the 150 watts really loud. Good luck. If you want my 112MBX let me know.
  7. LoTone

LoTone Gold Supporting Member

I have just sold my MB150e to a fellow TBer this week. I had a MB200 and a MB500 in the past. Though the MB200/MB500 are really loud, they do not sound like the MB150e though. The MB150e sounds like the older RB line 400RB III/800RB. Yes, you will get a lot more volume out of them but it will be a different, warmer and more scooped sound.
  8. pbass888

Thanks I wish I could lug around an old 400 or 800 rb but not really possible for me here in the city with my cab bass etc. I'm off Saturday to try these. Thanks for the advice!
  9. pbass888

Thx dr dav I will let you know.... I should check out the fearfuls somewhere?
  10. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Anytime, goodluck!
  11. pbass888

Tried a class d ampeg , markbass, gk at local guitar center here in Manhattan,.....all kind of similar though my 112 cab.... What sounded good? The ampeg ba series and the large orange tube anm , the Ad 200.
    I might being going the ba 112 combo route :)