GK MB150S with 115MBE

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MasonB, Dec 2, 2013.

1. MasonB

MasonB

I'm doing country and classic rock work. For indoor work (gigs, studio, rehearsals, church, etc), I have a GK MB150S . Love light weight for carrying, and full sound I get with my PBass or my acoustic DB. For outdoor gigs I use a Peavy TNT 130 with a single 15". It's OK, though a bit light for sound, and a LOT heavy (85 lbs!) to tote.

I'm tired of lugging the big Peavy around so plan to get rid of that and pick up a GK 115MBE cab to use with the MB150S for outdoor gigs. Will get the 8 ohm 115MBE so I can run both the 12" and 15" together. Should give me more sound than the Peavy, and both together will be less weight.

If anybody out there has that particular combination (The GK MB150 and an 8-ohm GK 115MBE), please let me know how it performs. Any problems? Is there enough power in the MB150 to drive both speakers cleanly?

Thanks!

2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

You might be taking a gamble with using a 15" and a 12".
    You might like it as some people have said using a 15 smooths out the bottom end.
    You could end up with phasing issues.

You might be well served with the GK 112MBX cab.
    16 lbs. and it matches your GK combo dimensions. You will have a sharp looking 2x12 rig.
    Your amp will be ok pushing its max volume - 150watts @4ohms.

3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Another vote for the 112MBX cab. I had the MB150S/112MBX and it was a great little stack. It had all the bottom end I needed. As stated, a 2x12 rig ain't too shabby, and the form factor and weight can't be beat IMO.

4. Blankandson

Blankandson

The line out of the MB150 will power another combo. Think of getting the 112 combo (200 watts) which gives you two matching 12" speakers, plus more bottom and more volume. Current street price is around $400.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Blankandson

Blankandson

A jazz / salsa group in central MN uses an EUB through the MB150 with a Bergantino CN 112. Heard them outdoor and close up it sounded amazing, but needed the FOH for the large crowd. In a small to medium room that is a great pairing. Pricey at $750 US. You are still only getting 150 watts, so the Berg is getting only 75. If you turn off the internal speaker the Berg gets 100 watts.

http://www.basscentral.com/2003/bergantino.shtml

7. aledeville

aledeville

I don't think it would be that much of a gamble.
    The MB150 has a very small enclosure for that speaker, giving a very specific sound. This fits very nice with a fiveteen in a bigger enclosure and therefore more extended low end. I use an old Aguilar 115 with the old (1986) 200MB and they are a great match.