GK MB200 or Ashdown little Giant 1000

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by McEvilpipe, Nov 16, 2012.

1. McEvilpipe

McEvilpipe

Hey I recently acquired an SWR Goliath Jr. III 8omh cab and I want to put together a small rig for bar gigs and smaller venues. The only real quality amps I have experience with are Trace Elliot.
    I am currently deciding what head I should go for, my options are a Gallien Krueger MB200 or an Ashdown Little giant 1000. Please steer me in the right direction.

2. acleex38

acleex38

I can't speak to the Ashdown at all, but for the last year or so, I've used a GK MB200 for a local open mic where I am the house bassist. I've run it into either an Ampeg SVT15e cab (at the 140 watts) or a pair of Hartke Hydrive 112s and haven't had any volume problems. It's a small-to-medium sized bar and I've gotten it "too loud for the room" without PA support without a problem. It should be fine.

3. McEvilpipe

McEvilpipe

cool this is the sort of thing I would be using it for also.

4. acleex38

acleex38

There were bands that could come in and max it out a bit (it doesn't give you a tone of leftover headroom when the band doing 70s hard rock comes in with two overpowering guitarists) - but I never pushed the volume knob over about 2o'clock. I also tended to bump both mids knobs which helped. But still - with a 2x10 (maybe set vertically) you'll be pushing more speaker and air than my 1x15 can.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Also can't speak to the Ashdown, but I have an MB200 that I use as part of my "coffeehouse"/small gig rig with an Aguilar GS112. It's surprisingly loud especially when you add a second cab. I'd bet it would work great with a Goliath Jr. for a small gig rig.

7. McEvilpipe

McEvilpipe

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm leaning towards the GK. I hear these amps are pretty reliable, have you had any issues?

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

None with mine, although some people have had problems in the past with a "hissing" noise.

9. rockamimjazz

rockamimjazz

Been using a MB200 with a GK 1x15 cab for over a year now. No issues at all. Love the simplicity and portability of a head that small.

10. 5port

5port

We have spontaneous jams after work (studio) with 2 or more guitarists,loud drummer and me using my MB200 and Carvin BRX2.10 vertical and have no problem with volume. First time I took out the MB200 I got laughs until I started playing. It helps to have a 4 ohm cabinet with multiple drivers.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

200 watts vs 1000 watts is alot of difference. I have no experience with either, but I can tell you that with 200 watts, you will have very little if any headroom, but with 1000 watts, you will.

12. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Played in a jam at my friend's studio last tuesday. I showed up with a MB200 and a Schroeder 15L 4ohm. Amp was between 4 and 5 and the bass was never more than 6 or 7. 2 guitarists, drummer and conga/harp player plus 2 people singing. Had plenty of volume. Of course I had a very efficient cabinet that it's reputation is the ability to cut through plus it is 4 ohm.

There are MB200's in the classifieds on a regular basis and usually averaging around $175. If it does not work then it will be easy to resell it on this forum.

13. McEvilpipe

McEvilpipe

I know the Ashdown is superior in power but the reason I am choosing it or the Gk is because I can get both for the same price. I am worried about the Ashdown because it seems very powerful for such a low price and also could my cab handle that power.
    I have no experience matching Bass heads and cabs as I only ever owned combos until now.

14. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Another vote for the MB200 here. I have a Hartke 210XL and Genz Benz Focus 115, works well with either one. I'd say the MB200+GB Focus 115 is almost as loud as my Hartke 1155 combo (3500 head with 15+5). I don't think I've ever had the gain up past 2 o'clock on the MB, even with loud drummers and guitarists.

I've also been using it with an old SVT 810 which is in place at a rehearsal space for one band I'm in:D

15. McEvilpipe

McEvilpipe

I've been trying to do some research on the Ashdown head and information is sparse. I got burned with one of their Bass chorus pedals recently (horrible hum cycle and non working noise filter switch) So I guess its looking good for the GK :)

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The Ashdown little giant is not a strait 1000 watts, it a two sided 500 watt head that's none bridgeable.

It's very similar to the Ashdown EVO 900 head.

Ashdown endorser.