GK MB200 ... Speakon - 1/4 ??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tjh, Nov 27, 2012.

1. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... there is no shortage of info floating around here on the MB200, so rather than just tagging onto one of the older threads, I thought I would ask a question I haven't seen asked and leave a place for those that have been using the head to post updates ... the noise issues, how its holding up, etc ...

.. I have a good variety of quality 1/4-1/4 speaker cables that I have made up, and for some reason when this head returned to the US to be made, GK eliminated the ability to use a 1/4" spkr out ... anybody use a Neutrik speakon adapter out of a head so that the 1/4 plugs can be used ?? ... not that another cable is a big deal, but knowing me I would probably need to make a few, and an adapter will be good for other things also ... also, I was curious if anyone tried this on heads that seemed to have the hiss issues .. thanks!!
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Look at the Speakon socket on the amp. If it is green then it's a combo socket and the phone plug can be inserted into the hole in the middle.
  3. craig.p

craig.p

Yeah, I've seen those Neutrik Speakon-to-female-phone adapters in use all over the place and haven't heard of even one problem.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Some of 'em melt at higher power, best to check the rating. Personally, I would rather save the money and just hack one end and screw a Speakon connector on.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Paul, the green socket was on the MB200's that came out of China ... the current US made ones use only the speakon .. no 1/4 to the center ...

.. I do not have the amp yet, actually thought I might pull the trigger on one tonite from that MF deal going on ... $227 shipped and that way I have the warranty with the issues that I have been reading about some having ...
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Yeah, initially that was what I figured I was going to end up doing .. not a biggied because I make my own cables usually anyhow, but I never use speakons, so I dont even have one around .. then I started pricing them, and the adapter was only a couple bucks more ... thats what got me thinking that way ...

... I guess I dont even know how to wire a speakon, never having done it .. I am sure it wont be a problem though ..

... I dont think we would have a problem melting one in my case ... at least if I keep it confined to a MB200:)
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

The 200MB has only 1/4" speaker jacks on it, I don't think Speakons even existed at the time this amp was in production, IIRC.
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I use 2-pole Speakons most of the time, because I prefer the ring locker to the sliders on the 4-pole ones. They cost me two bucks and change the last time I bought a handful, for Neutriks, not questionable knockoffs. I've made my own adapters in the past too. Can't have too many adapters if you are a sound provider...;)
  10. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

He means mb200
  11. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

I assume you mean the GK MB200 micro amp? I've used an Speakon/1/4" adaptor with my EA CXL 110 for a while now, with no problems of any kind. Of course, I'm a pretty low-volume kind of guy...
  12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Hahahahaha good catch! :cool: There is a BIG difference between a MB200 and the 200MB:)
  13. Jeff Scott

Then he should say so! :meh:

GK's marketing/product branding/naming department really screwed up with this one, I think. :rollno:
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... that is funny .. I am usually a stickler for this kind of detail and then I went and did it backwards ..

...can you tell I have 400RB and 800RB's?? ... thanks for catching it ... yes, I mean the MB200 ...

.. corrected above
  15. Jeff Scott

Happy to see that. :cool: To be fair, I have seen this many times on TB and elsewhere; the problem, as I mentioned above, is with GK not looking back to their own past products and thinking about the potential/actual confusion it will/has caused.
  16. hobbes1

hobbes1

just bought a used gk mb200 micro amp head. i'm using 16gauge speaker cable 1/4" (mine was made in china and has the combo speakon/ 1/4" output jacl). no hiss or other issues to worry about. sounds great for a little tiny thing :)
  17. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I'm using a commercial (forgot the brand) speakon-1/4" female adapter plus a regular 1/4"-1/4" speaker cable with mine - no issues.
  18. johnpbass

johnpbass

Same here. Neutrik - 1/4" - no issues.