GK MB200~ What cab(s) are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by munkeyfish, Apr 5, 2014.

1. munkeyfish

munkeyfish

Just wondering what cab(s) are you guys using for the Gallien Krueger MB200 amps?

And what are your thoughts on said setup?

Bonus: Got any pics?
  2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I use mine for small acoustic gigs with an acoustic bass guitar (Thunderchief) and my upright bass. I have a GB Shuttle STL-8 cab for those city gigs. Works fine for small rooms and acoustic music.
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    DIY 1x12 with Eminence 2512-ii driver, or for upright bass and jazz gigs (most of my work these days), a DIY 1x8.
  4. mdjuszyn

mdjuszyn

GK 212 MBE-II. More than enough for my needs in my church praise band. Absolutely love the sound. I am going to get a NEO 112 at some point for a smaller option.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've run mine with a Berg CN212, a Berg AE212, and a pair of Bag End S15D's.
  7. mikelb7

mikelb7

2 x Ampeg SVT 210AVs over here. With the MB200, it get's just loud enough to hang with a loud drummer/reasonable guitarist (we typically tune down a full step/to drop C). I'll only use one cab for quieter rehearsals/non-rock shows

Sorry for the big photo but this is the only picture I have with me and the fullstack in-frame! Would be happy to answer any questions about the cabs you have

[​IMG]
  8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

As in sig:

GKMB200 as preamp - Crest Prolite 2.0 - fEARful 12/6 +12sub.
  9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I've used it with a CN212, AE410, and a small Yamaha BBT-110 cab for coffee house stuff.
  10. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Pleasantly plucky Supporting Member

Media:
    Avatar Neo 2x10s cabinet. I plan on upgrading the amp and cabinet sometime in the future.
  11. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

210AVs here, as well. I replaced it recently with an MBFusion but gigged the MB200 for a good bit. I went vertical in tight places and gigs where I carried the room. For more bass feel in loud clubs with PA support I went side by side. And for outdoors I sub'd in an SVT15.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. NWB

NWB

I use mine with either one or two Hartke Hydrive 112s.

I switch the cab to 4 ohms if I'm only using one. Eight ohms each for the pair.
  13. mikelb7

mikelb7

Killer rigs and basses!!! How are you liking the MBF500 with the 210AVs? I've been thinking of moving up to the Fusion for a little more "oomph" but I play with heavy distortion. I'm not sure what the MB200's peak output is but since it's so tough to hear speakers straining with distortion, I feel a lot more comfy having 200 watts on top of my cabs as opposed to 500.

edit: Also, how does the 210AV+SVT15 combo sound???
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... generally either one or two Ampeg 210AV's also ... I do have Hartke 210's as well, but more often than not the 210AV's ... I did use it with a couple Baggies too, but no longer have those ... I also used it at church into a 115 SWR combo they have (with bad power section) .. it doesn't matter a lot, I can find something usable with any cabs I have tried it with .. the 210AV's just compliment the portability best ..

.. if I do only use one cab, I use a little square folding piano stool to get it up higher ...
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

All of them.

Someones idea of a loud drummer is way south of most, but it's plenty loud enough to need earplugs.
  16. dalkowski

dalkowski

17. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

Just got a great deal on an AE CXL112E. Very impressed. I have another 8ohm 12 inch cab almost exactly the same size. I haven't tried to run both yet.
  18. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Thanks! I love the MBFusion with them. It's legit tube old school to my ears. It sounds very different than the MB200; the tube preamp really imparts a tube sound, complete with squish and fullness. It also has tube headroom, meaning it's difficult to get the gain very high without getting into tube distortion territory (fine with me, I love a little tube hair). I think this is why people tend to recommend the 800 since you can run out of clean headroom quickly. Because of this I've yet to feel worried about the 500w aspect and pushing these speakers. I don't play with heavy distortion much, but I imagine the tube pre will compress before you get too much into the damage type clipping. It does have big GK low end, but I always run an fdeck HPF for a little security, anyway (just as I did with the MB200). Speaking of, anyone running these cabs should use an fdeck or microthumpinator, it really lets them roar.

That said, it does have more oomph than the MB200 for sure. I love the sound of the 210 and 15 cab. It's more well rounded than the double 210s, more even sounding because it balances the coloration of the sealed 210 a bit. I prefer that sealed sound and of course the portability of the double 210s, but I always bring the 15 for outdoors gigs, and the Fusion pushes this combo better than the MB200 did. I recently had a new matching grill made by Bruce at Fliptops:

[​IMG]
  19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I used to have a MojoSonic 1x10. I liked it a lot but wanted a grab and go so I took the dimensions and had TB'er SingleMalt create a combo cab plus a matching Mojo replacement. Deltalite 2510's installed, no tweets. Ported via a very deep 1 inch slot and foam stuffed. Great sounding little boxes for a 4 string. I've gigged that setup a ton. Recently sold off the MB200 and put in an mb2-500 A07. That was the head I had when the cabs were built but I snagged the 200 (great amp!) And used that instead. Really a sweet little setup.
  20. Are you using the 4 ohm or 8 ohm cab? I'm trying to picture 130 watts (8 ohm) sounding loud through the 8 ohm cab. You'd only get the full 200 watts through the 4 ohm cab.
  21. mdjuszyn

mdjuszyn

I've got the 4 ohm.