GK MB200 with a 410HLF or any other bigger cabs ????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Just got a kill deal on a new Ampeg 410HLF but the only head I have at the moment is my GK MB200 (recently sold my MB500).

Sadly I never A/B'ed my MB200 and MB500 when I owned both at the same time with a larger cab,,, matter of fact I've hardly ever used my MB200 as it was the back-up head I never needed

I have gigs this weekend and am wondering what to expect pairing my MB200 with my new 410HLF ?

I'm very much into having a back-up head so I will most likely buy another MB500 for my main amp and keep the MB200 as the back-up.

Or,,,, do I really need to buy a MB500 ?

Perhaps the MB200 will kill with the 410HLF and if that's the case I'll just buy another MB200 as a back-up, save some money and call it a day.

If I could get away with it I would just have 2 GK MB200's,, or will I really get a big noticeable bump in volume and headroom with the MB500 ?

I play in some fairly loud rock bands, BEAD tuning and live on my B string.

Opinions on running the MB200 with a 410 or bigger cab ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Davyo

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You might hit the head room ceiling with that amp and cab, but there shouldnt be any issue soundwise. If you like the GK amp, and the sound of that cab, then go for it. In a pinch I think the MB200 will drive a power amp. So you could use it as a pre amp with a larger PA style amp if you needed.

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

The MB200 will definitely get you by and work just fine with that cabinet, but the bigger amp will make you very happy. :bassist:

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

The MB200 will drive a power amp-- that's true.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

My mb200 doesn't have near the punch of my 250w Trace, which is good for 500w peak. watts. You can definitely run a power amp off the line out of mb200.

7. The Nameless

The Nameless

I think you'll be fine. I just played a friends Mb 200 thru an Aggie 412 a/b ing against a DB750. That little GK held its own, an quite frankly, was close enuff to the Aggie's output we both raised our eyebrows. Tone held up, too. In my opinion, the rig yer talkin should be great, tho yes, extra headroom is always nice. Heh. My friends an I hang weekly, testin gear from all over. Old, new. Anythin anyone gets, they bring. An we have fun. The GK has impressed many on a lotta different cabs. And holds up against heads twice as strong.

8. Davyo

Cool,, thanks everyone for the feedback so far,, I'm feeling less scared about using my MB200 with the 410hlf this weekend.

A few things I forgot to mention, I'm a huge fan of GK and that GK sound and one of my favorite things about the MB200 is the simplicity of the head,,,,, volume, bass, mid, treble controls along with the contour switch and that's it (one of the reasons I also like the Hartke LH500 and LH1000 heads) but the Hartke's are a bit to heavy "weight wise" for my taste.

I just like running a straight clean sound from the head and doing my EQ'ing on which ever bass I'm using.

I'm also wanting to hold back on buying a MB500 as I'm kinda interested in the soon to be released Peavy MiniMax head.

Cheers
    Davyo

9. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

I use this same setup at a rehearsal studio.
    Brought my GK MB200 into the studios Ampeg 410hlf.
    I ran the gain at 11 o'clock in a moderate loud band.

Best setup I think. It almost made me feel like I need an Ampeg 410hlf.

10. Davyo

Did my first gig last night with the GK MB200 pushing my new SVT410hlf,,,,,, wow,,, my little MB200 really kicked ass !!!

Left everything set at about 12 noon including the gain/volume and the contour switched on,, playing my active Schecter bass tuned BEAD.

Gig was a last minute thing,, small bar with horrible acoustic's and a hollow stage,,, but in spite of that the MB200 paired with the 410hlf was pretty impressive.

Can't wait to try this set-up in one of my regular gigging locations/venues that have acoustically better conditions.

I will still get another head with a bit more power and also so I can keep the MB200 as my back-up,,, but the MB200 really did way beyond what I expected,,,, what an amazing little amp the MB200 is.

Cheers
    Davyo

11. NWB

NWB

For playing all those really power-hungry low notes, I suggest the MB800. It will really open up the 410HLF and easily carry any venue.

12. Davyo

IDK,,,, if I got the MB800 I would be to stressed about the potential to blow up my 410HLF cab :oops:

The MB500 is 500watts at 4ohms and the 410HLF is recommended to get fed the same,,, plus just the MB200 did such an amazing job with my bottom B I'm thinkin the MB500 will far exceed what my MB200 did.

For the 410HLF the MB800 might be overkill.

Cheers
    Davyo