1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK MB210 conversion. Possible?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Dec 11, 2012.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if there is a way that I can wire my GK MB210 combo so that it can EITHER be used with the built in amp OR as just a cabinet with the amp bypassed.

Thanks so much!

2. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-304

Make a hole you can pop this into. Plan the hole location to avoid any internal bracing.

Find the wires running to the tens. Move them to the top post pair.

Run new wires from the bottom post pair to the tens.

Install into the cab.

Leave the jumpers in place for normal use. Remove the jumpers when you want to use only the cab; connect the external amp to the bottom post pair.

There's a more elegant way to do it that might give you external access to the cute little horn, too, but you've asked a simple question so I figured you're probably looking for a simple solution.

(Warranty = VOID.) ;-)

3. GroovinOnFunk

oh cool! thanks. I've already voided the warranty by taking the speakers out, lining the inside with batting, and placing 2 bracers from the baffle to rear of the speakers. This seems like a pretty simple solution for sure.

additional to this, I would also want to add an input jack, right? so that an external amp can plug into it?

4. GroovinOnFunk

also... the ends that go from amp to speakers, at least, are c connecter (i think that's what they're called). those connectors that just slide in and out of a flat piece of metal to connect...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Nope, your "input jack" is the bottom pair of banana jacks. Just terminate a speaker cable with banana plugs and you're all set.

Yes, those jumpers are removable. Or, you can just throw them away and make up a 6" bridge with some 18ga or 16ga zip and 4 banana plugs. I like the jumpers, though, because they can be left in place and nothing's protruding past the plate's flange (as would be the case if you left a banana plug jumper in all the time).

7. goran

goran

I was thinking to do this: open the amp, disconnect the plug with the wires that connect internal speakers. This will defeat the speakers. Now, add a speakon input to the cab and wire it to speakers.
    This way I could connect external speaker output from the amp to the new speakon input. Only drawback I see is that I would no more be able to use the horn, but since it is always off anyway, I don't see the problem with it.