GK MB210 static noise?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chief2112, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Chief2112

Chief2112

Last night when playing my bass I started noticing a static sound. It sounds like it's coming from the top 10". I took the grill off and the speakers all look to be in tact and not torn or blown out or anything.

My settings didn't change. Had it set up the same way I've been playing it for over a year.

Any clues or hints on how to troubleshoot and figure out what's going on with it?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Describe this static a bit more. Is it constant? Does it change with different settings? Is it present with no bass connected to the amp?

3. Chief2112

Chief2112

It sounds like an "interference" type static. It's not constant but I'd say it does it 80% of the time when playing. It doesn't matter at what intensity I'm playing either. The intensity of the static doesn't seem to change. It does not make a sound without the bass plugged in.

Could it be my cord maybe?

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Effect return jack oxide could be the issue. Try patching fx send to return with a cable.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chief2112

Chief2112

Thanks Alexander but can someone explain what exactly you mean? Treat me like I'm dumb on this issue, which I am. lol

Thanks!

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Well. if it only happens when the bass is plugged in to the amp, then yes, it could be your bass, or your cable. But if your amp has an effects loop on the back, try patching a cable from the send to the return. If that doesn't do it, try another cable from bass to amp, and if that's not it, you need an amp tech.

8. Chief2112

Chief2112

So just plug a cord into the effects loop from send to return? I never have even used the effects loop.

9. Chief2112

Chief2112

And I've not even noticed any effects loop on the back. I'll have to look when I get home. I've had the this MB 210 for over a year now.

10. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

There is no effects loop on the MB210 combo, so don't look too hard. Is your tweeter on? Does it go away if you turn the tweeter off?

11. Chief2112

Chief2112

I've never used the tweeter so it's not on.

12. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

The only time I've ever had a static problem on my GK MB210 was when I ran a wall wart pedal power cord behind the amp near the head. Have you recently moved the amp close to an outlet or other electric device that could be interfering with your amp? If so, move it to a new location and see if that helps. If not, try a different instrument cable.

13. Chief2112

Chief2112

Yeah, it's hasn't moved from it's original location. I'll be trying the new instrument cable when I get home today and will post an update. Thank you for the input everyone!

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm. Is your bass guitar shielded? Try another cord and another AC outlet that's on a different circuit breaker (make sure the AC outlet is in good working order). Also, if you have a battery in your bass - replace it!!!

15. Althebassman

Althebassman

I have had a series of problems with intermittent "static". I finally traced it the top speaker. It only happened on certain notes but not all the time. Got that replaced under warranty from Sweetwater. Then it happened to the bottom speaker. Although just passed the extended warranty Sweetwater replaced that speaker also & the amp circuit board. Now a couple of months later I am getting a "fuzzyness" on certain notes on the E string. I think the quality is just not there although I like the light weight & sound when it works OK.

16. Althebassman

Althebassman

Just last weekend the top speaker started with intermittent "static" again! I am really pissed & will be contacting Sweetwater!