GK MB210 - which extension cab and why?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nurnay, Jan 6, 2014.

1. nurnay

nurnay

I'm looking to go lightweight. I just tried a GK MB210 and was really impressed. I'm sure by itself it can handle most of my gigs. But for larger gigs, I'm thinking of getting an extension cab, either the MBE 210 or MBE 115. I play a EBMM Bongo 5er, so I need that low end. I'm in 2 bands, covering classic rock, oldies, metal, country, etc. your thoughts?

2. Mainahman

Mainahman

My father has the mb210 combo too. He went with the mbe115 for the bottom. I have the same cabs myself, and get plenty of bottom with them. We both play active basses. He plays a 6 and I play 5s and 4s. We always get plenty of low end.

3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Matching cab (another 2X10) stacked on end (vertical).

4. nurnay

nurnay

I should mention, I do want that punchy growl, too. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nurnay

nurnay

Any other opinions?

7. dagovna659

dagovna659

I use the mb210+mbe115, its massive!!. It'll get you all the low-end you want. I like that its very portable and gives you options to use the mb210 alone or with an extension. you will love the combination.

8. Icculus

Icculus

Is there a benefit to stacking vertical instead of side by side? I kinda like the look of my combo and extension cab side by side, but the combo being a 1x15 and cab being a 2x10 make me think vertical would be better. What if they are the same speaker set up?

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Vertically you get better dispersion in the room, and you get a speaker up closer to your ear, so you can hear yourself better.

10. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

I concur for the same reasons Bongomania also mentioned. Vertical stacking will also allow you to manage a small stage if you are unfortunate enough to encounter one. If you like growl, 4x10 is the way to go (unless you go 6 or 8x10).

11. Jazz PLayer

Jazz PLayer

Hi...
    I have a GK 1001RB 2x12 combo with an older Ashdown 4X10 cab as an extension, and I stack the GK on top of the 4X10.

Big punchy tone with an enormous bottom end and no mud. The new Bongo 5HH with the 4 band eg sounds unbelievable.

I am a happy chappy!