1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK MB500 -- has anybody seen this failure mode?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RHFusillo, Dec 13, 2013.

1. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

I have a Gallien Krueger MB500, purchased about 18 months ago. Today, the amp failed and I cannot find anything on the web that describes this problem.

The amplifier produces no sound. The "halo" pilot light that surrounds the on/off switch is dark, even when the switch is pushed in. The "-10 db" switch is lit solid red, whether that switch is pushed in or not.

I powered the unit completely off and left it for about an hour, but the same thing happened when I tried to power it back on.

There is no weird smell that would indicate fried electronics.

I figure that I will have to send the amp back to GK for warranty repair, but I am curious about how serious the problem is.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Have you unplugged it, let it sit and tried a different outlet? Unplug the speaker cable incase it shorted? I would imagine it would have to be a power supply (SMPS) failure.
  3. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Thanks for your reply, B-string. The answer to each of your questions is yes.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Sounds like a random failure in the units power supply then. Most good SMPS will self check when plugged in and not latch "on" if a failure is detected (protects other parts of the amp). Contact jason@gallien.com for an RMA and shipping instructions. :atoz: