GK MB500 -- has anybody seen this failure mode?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RHFusillo, Dec 13, 2013.

1. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Gold Supporting Member

I have a Gallien Krueger MB500, purchased about 18 months ago. Today, the amp failed and I cannot find anything on the web that describes this problem.

The amplifier produces no sound. The "halo" pilot light that surrounds the on/off switch is dark, even when the switch is pushed in. The "-10 db" switch is lit solid red, whether that switch is pushed in or not.

I powered the unit completely off and left it for about an hour, but the same thing happened when I tried to power it back on.

There is no weird smell that would indicate fried electronics.

I figure that I will have to send the amp back to GK for warranty repair, but I am curious about how serious the problem is.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Have you unplugged it, let it sit and tried a different outlet? Unplug the speaker cable incase it shorted? I would imagine it would have to be a power supply (SMPS) failure.

3. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for your reply, B-string. The answer to each of your questions is yes.

4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Sounds like a random failure in the units power supply then. Most good SMPS will self check when plugged in and not latch "on" if a failure is detected (protects other parts of the amp). Contact jason@gallien.com for an RMA and shipping instructions. :atoz:

5. Register to disable this ad