1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK MB500, MB Fusion 500, MB Fusion 800?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Guish, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Guish

Guish

Hey TBers!

I was wondering if anyone had the chance to try them all side by side. I've tried the MB500 for a gig (when my actual amp let me down) and loved it. My question is, how different is it from the MB fusion 500 and 800? I like my sound not too clean, and I got some pretty nice stuff out of the MB500 when I crank the gain from the second master.

I have a SVT-VR right now, and I'm kinda sick of carrying it around. This amp could be a good alternative.

Any thoughts?

2. Bassist30

Bassist30

As far as side by side no. But I just recently got the MB fusion and glad i did. Its a great amp. yes you can get great overdrive with it and have a clean channel to. Very versatile amp. I will probably get the 800 also but I'm not in a rush as the Fusion 500 is very loud. Not to mention a great EQ.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Just FYI the MB Fusion 800 has not been released yet ;)

4. Bassist30

Bassist30

yes I know. Im just not in a rush to get it when its available. What I understand it was supposed to be released in June of this year. At least thats what I was informed by a friend.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

It has missed a few release dates. The OP wants a comparison with an amp no one could have played through yet (except maybe a couple minutes at NAMM).

7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

I own a Fusion and a MB2 500, (revision A07 which was last before name was changed to MB500) Other than a couple of switches to change contour frequency, and a limit switch, very little difference between the two. They share the same power section, and eq. Although the Fusion 500 has a tube pre, the only difference I hear, is when set flat, a slight, and I mean very slight softer high end. A touch of eq and they are pretty much identical. The MB500 also has a slightly smaller footprint. When it comes to minis, what's an inch? :D If you are pleased with the MB500, I doubt the Fusion will be a game changer for you. They are much more alike than different.

8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Surely it's all going to come down to whether you deeply desire a tube preamp and whether you really think you need 800 watts. I've driven a 4 ohm Ampeg 810 with my MB500. And yet I don't think it's overkill to just run my 212. You might have me on the tube pre. I would like to have that to play around with. But my philosophy right now is to get 100% of my sound out the tail end of my pedal board; my amp being used just for monitoring and EQd for the stage. If I relied on a tube preamp on the head to give me something significant, I'd have to DI from my MB500 to make sure it was always included in the signals destination.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I've previously read very similar comparisons between the MB Fusion and the MB500 from at least a couple of other players. Off and on, I've toyed with the idea of getting an MB Fusion 800 - if/when they're ever released. But on the basis of this rough consensus, I just can't see the point of doing it. :meh:

Between the MB500 and the MB800 I already have, I think I'm pretty much set for GK micro amps. Besides, there's something to be said for the sound quality of an all-FET circuit done really well - as with the MB800. When it comes to FET done right, who has more experience and more expertise than GK? :meh:

MM

10. Bassist30

Bassist30

You can ad a little dirt in the overdrive with the MB500 that's like the fusion? Just asking. I don't have the MB series. Right away when there is tubes i usually jump on the band wagon. I found with the fusion I can adjust the overdrive to get a little warmth. As far as a limiter, on the Thunderfunk it works a little the same but there is more of a difference with the TF amp. But I like the idea there isn't much difference between the fusions limiter whether its on or off. Because I want limiting not effect the sound by making it more like a compressor. I on the other hand wish it had an peak light on it. I have been playing an active bass and switch the -14 button on. But still without a peak light you don't really know if you are driving it to much that will hurt the speakers. That's what i worry with. But at least it has a limiter switch which helps but I don't know to what extent without the peak light. But again I don't want the limiter to change or squash the sound. But I'm really happy with it. I think its (Fusion) a clean sound with some warmth if you want. I agree the contour isn't a drastic change but a few are. I have or rather had the Demeter 201 and the presence control which is similar was somewhat the same. I like the way it works if you are looking for more of a flat sound. But it isn't a drastic tone change but I still like it. Especially if you slap, you can really dip the mids but if you do both finger and slap you can find a nice sweet spot. All and all there is good and bad with all amps but this being my first micro/light/small amp I am very happy with it. I am not Mr Experienced with it as I had it for a very short time and not as experienced with the GK's in general as you but its an amp with many tonal qualities, like a bass boost, 7 K shelving in the high, low and high mids, contour, limiter, give you a lot of eq possibilities. As you know with the Gk's you have. Not sure they all sound similar but I like what I hear so far and I think for the price they are an exceptional buy. Also its a loud and clean 500 watts. Will I want the fusion 800 when it comes out? Not right away but probably.

11. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

I've been a GK user for the last 27 yrs. While they each have slight variations, they are all GK related. That pre is in all of the amps except the tube pre in the Fusion. Honestly, it doesn't make nearly the difference you would expect. The only GK that didn't do it for me was the 1001RBll. IMO there was too much redundancy with eq possibilities. While it was ridiculous power wise, the simplicity of every other GK I have owned, made them much easier to manage. I generally run them pretty much flat, just enjoying the signature GK tone. The 1001 made it much harder to achieve that.