GK MB500 Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fivestring99, Apr 9, 2014.

1. fivestring99

fivestring99 Old Timer Supporting Member

At 60 years old I'm still playing small bars regularly and the occasional outdoor restaurant gig. I'm downsizing my gear to cut down weight. I've already picked up a couple of Hartke Hy-Drive 1x12s. Light as a feather. Now I'm looking at the MB500 head. Reviews are positive as a rule. I'd like the benefit of your real world experience with this head. That "under five pounds" is really appealing for a fat old man.
    Thanks!
  2. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

If you like the GK sound you should be happy. I have one and think it's great. It's hard to believe it can be any good being so inexpensive and powerful. I have had mine for two years now and it seems to be holding up. It bugs me out everytime I put it in my front pocket of my gig bag.
  3. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

It's loud, light, and flexible in tone. Add relatively inexpensive. I don't know what there is not to like about it. If you're trying to lighten your load it's a great choice.
  4. obimark

obimark

Also consider the TC Bh250- I play many gigs with this head and it is plenty loud so far. And you can download some cool toneprints for free.
  5. fivestring99

Yes, I've had 2 other RB400s. Still have one. They both served me well and it's hard to beat that GK sound.
  6. jwb39

jwb39

I've been looking at getting the same combo, 2 Hartke 112 and a GK mb500, when I get the funds. I can handle the bigger stuff, but I don't have much room in the car to fit a whole lot.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    The Mb500 is great. The MB Fusion is even better for not a tone more cash. IMO - it's the best GK yet at least in the 500 watts into 4 ohm category.

That said, I gigged my Mb2-500 and 1 ten last night. Put it on a small low table for a tiny bar date and loved it...
  8. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

big fan of the mb500 fusion. impressive power, and I love the natural tube influence on the clean end of the preamp gain.
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

G-K makes tools not "toys". :)
  10. bassbrad

bassbrad

Yup love the mb500 power & punch
  11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

IMHO, the only GK thing better than an MB500 is an MB800.
  12. David Jayne

David Jayne

I like mine a lot, but actually like my 800RB better. The MB is both brighter and deeper and it turns out I'm kinda partial to the way the RB rolls off the deep lows. And I MUCH prefer the 'boost' sound of the old RB, and the way it does the 'riding the rails' thing when pushed hard. I'm being picky here. MB500 is a great amp.
  13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

+1. The RB series definitely has something special going on no doubt. Back to the MB500. Throw out a couple extra bucks and get the MB800. You won't regret it. ;)
  14. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I've had a MB200 for quite a while now. Mostly as a back up, but I played a gig last Sat with it going into my Avatar B212 Neo 4 ohm. Sounded so good I just bought a MB 500 Fusion from the TB classifieds :hyper:
  15. eriky4003

eriky4003

No complaints about my MB500 which is actually a 'made in China' version. I play in a loud band and have no problems hearing myself and love the tone.
    To the OP, you may want to buy from a dealer who has a return policy in case you don't love the tone when combined with your cabs. I'm not dissing either manufacturer but just in case the OP doesn't love the whole rig's tone, the OP can try another amp.
  16. fivestring99

Took the plunge and ordered it from MF. Paid a little extra for overnight. I'll be breaking it in at a hill country biker bar and burger joint Sunday afternoon.
  17. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Trust me. You're going to have more volume than you're gonna know what to do with.
  18. David Jayne

David Jayne

Your going to be shocked when the box arrives. You'll think they forgot to put the amp in it.
  19. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

I went from Peavey 700 watt full stack, to a lightweight rig including the GK MB500. Had it for 2 years and have never looked back. been a great little amp.
  20. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I just sent back a MB500 for a deceptive mute switch.
    I had no idea how much I'd love this amp coming from 20 years of mostly Ampeg.
    I recently bout a 400RB to compare. They both sound great, and very,very close to each other only the little one has more power.

I decided this might be my new main amp and ordered the MB800 yesterday.
    I'm going to sell some spare amps but never the SVT and probably not the 7 Pro.