1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK MB500 vs GK MBFusion

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ocoaibass, Mar 25, 2014.

1. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

I recently bought the 500 at my local shoppe, on a whim. Then I did some research & had them order the Fusion so I could compare. I'm interested in the tube pre & the contour/presence freq switches.

It will be a week before it arrives. Anyone care to share their opinions? I've seen several threads that date back to the days of the Fusion's release, but most of that is hype. Hands on experience, please. Although general expertise is always appreciated!

2. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

I have an MB Fusion 500. The tubes definitely impart an organic quality to the tone, even when ran "clean". Run the gain up a bit and it gets pretty dirty, but in a usable way. I've tried the presence switch..not my cup of tea, as it gets too clanky. I never touch the contour. I leave it off. The only switch that I engage is the limiter. It's plenty loud.

3. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

The new amp has arrived at the shop & I'll be going by to check it out tomorrow. Anyone care to weigh in before I spend more money?

4. happyg

happyg

I had the fusion twice.....the mb500 once. I like the mb fusion 500 better. I think it has a better harmonic content. Sounds a little smoother and not as harsh as the mb 500. But, it still has that GK tone in spades. Remember. ...thats just my opinion. Let your ears be the judge.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I've owned both and prefer the Fusion. I agree with the organic and harmonic comments. It has more character than the MB500.

7. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

They are both good amps. To me the fusion is going to give you more versatility. You have a wider tonal span with the fusion.

8. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

I've owned both as well. To me, they are two flavors of good. They sound slightly different, but more like siblings than cousins.

9. floydman

floydman

+1
    I have an mb fusion 500. great clean sound, without sounding sterile. I'm hooked. but I am upgrading to the 800 fusion.

10. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

I have to say that everyone that has commented is right on the money. I a/b'ed them in the store & really dig the extra mojo of the tube preamp. I even did a blind comparison where my buddy switched them on me & asked me which I liked better. The Fusion won every time. Thanks for the feedback!!! I'm super pleased.

11. 12many

12many

I'm lovin' my MBfusion. I had hoped class D and a nice lightweight cab was going to cover what I do. I had been lugging a combo on a small dolly. What a hassle for such a long stretch. This amp dialed out some weak spots on my Yamaha bass. Using just the Neo 112 II I can bounce concrete. Should I decide to be immature I can "drowned out the freakin' drummer" anytime with it. Beautiful range of options and the warm deep motown sound I wanted. Kinda like the deep option switch - just don't like where they put it. GK forever for me.