1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK MB800 vs GB Streamliner 900

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassundergrace, Dec 5, 2012.

1. bassundergrace

bassundergrace Supporting Member

Are either of these class d heads made in USA?
    Trying to decide between the
    GK MB800 and GB streamliner 900.
    Any owners out there?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Both are MIA

They are really apples & oranges. The GK does the GK thing very well, which I would consider fairly modern. The GB does the vintage thing very well. That's not to say that you can't get a modern type of tone out of the Streamliner though, but nothing close to a GK type of sound IMO.

EDIT: GB isn't MIA. Mine also says Designed & Inspected in the USA on the back. Then is says Chassis Made in Taiwan too.
  3. Honkycat

Honkycat

+1...Pretty much at Polar ends of the spectrum soundwise
  4. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

So, staying in the same ~800 Watt, Class D category, what is in between?
  5. willsellout

willsellout

The GB isn't MIA as far as I know. On the back of mine it says "Designed and inspected in the USA". I believe all GB amps are manufactured in China.
  6. bassgod0dmw

I guess I never actually looked at mine. It says the same thing.

So I take that back :)

For Genz, the Shuttle stuff would be closer. The 9.0/9.2/9.2 Max would be similar power wise.
  7. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

Agreed.

The streamliner has such an old school pillowy bottom end. I've not played anything quite like it. It is inherently a bit mid-shy IMO. If you boost upper mids, the lower mids are a bit missing and visa-versa (all for my tastes of course). You also have to be very aggressive in your EQ knob turning to get near a flat sound. Having said that it is great at what it does and is of a significantly higher build quality than the GK product.
    The MB800 is in-yer-face. Sizzle, upper mids bark. tight. Although many seem to have quite a high noise floor. Again ... GREAT at what it does.
    the shuttle and shuttlemax series really do sit about inbetween.
  8. iualum

iualum

Both, of course.
  9. bassgod0dmw

+1