1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

gk mb800 with two 4x10 mbe's?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

didnt see a post that went into enough detail for me

how many watts would be going into each cab?

Afaik there wouldnt be much headroom so im wondering if a higher wattage amp would be more beneficial, but the mb800 fits so well with those cabs (obviously).

Also if anyone feels like giving me some info on the fet preamp i would appreciate it but im sure there threads on it
  2. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

both 8ohms btw
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Each cab is going to get roughly 400w. It does 800w at 4 ohms, so divide that in half.

You don't think there wouldn't be much headroom? I think you'd be surprised at how loud it would be going into 8 10's. GK's are well known to have very honest power ratings, and they are loud.
  4. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

i was under the impression that headroom was watts above what your cab is rated for, and just not turning up too loud.

Feel free to educate though!
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Headroom is basically the ability to continually turn up in volume and still have a clean sound. Low headroom would start to distort once you get past a certain point.
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Headroom is the usable available power/loudness above your average playing level. The harder you play or more you "turn up" the less available headroom you have.

There is NOTHING wrong with having cabs rated for higher input power than your amp can output.
  7. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

so as far as the fet pre amp, afaik its a tube emulator type deal? Ive read that they can get pretty close but how warm does the tone get?

Would i be missing out a whole lot not getting a hybrid amp?
  8. B-string

That only you can decide. I owned all tube amps for decades. Went to the JFET opamp 800RB, didn't miss the tubes, now I play a Fusion 550 and really enjoy how Mr. Gallien designed that 3 tube preamp. Same as is now used in the MB Fusion and sometime this year maybe, the MB Fusion 800.

I played a 700RB II (FET front end) and it has good harmonic treatment. The tube snobs will tell you the amp HAS to have output tubes and also the output transformer to get "tube warmth". To their ears you may, mine I don't, you may or may not. ;)
  9. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

+1, I have yet to hear a fusion of any type, but the MB800 is very warm with a rough around the edges sound if ya want it. I may be wrong , but I think the MBE cabs have the same drivers as the neos without the bi amp capability, if thats the case , 2 mbe 4x10s will be crazy loud:DI would very much like to hear a mb800 fusion to compare, HINT NINT HINT MR G!:bassist:
  10. B-string

The 210,212 and 800 watt 410 are the same cone speakers as the NEO series. The horns are the same as the MB combos. Don't know about the 115MBE but I'm pretty sure the 400 watt 410MBE are ceramic speakers instead of NEOs.
  11. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

afaik your right about the mbe's not having neos.

Thanks for all the input guys, lots of help as always. Now i have to decide if i want to save up for a used genz benz streamline 900 or just go used gk!
  12. 2milehighspike

My mistake, I thought they were the same, If you can find a used NEO cab get that I love my 2x12s
  13. B-string

You were partly correct! The 210MBE, 212MBE and 800 watt 410MBE are the same speakers as the NEO series (except the Horn). :)
  14. 2milehighspike

.I thought so, I think I saw RAG post that they were, It makes sense since the cabs are so light.
  15. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

OP: I think you should forget about cab power ratings entirely. They aren't really too important. And you certainly don't need to worry about what they are in comparison to your amp.

Also: I had a 210 MBE. Didn't care for it. It seemed very bassy and not very loud. Got a Neo 212, that I like better.
  16. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction Supporting Member

Hi.
    I play my MB800 through 2 Mesa Boogie powerhouse 410s. I don't think anyone would dispute that they are very capable 410 cabs. They are rated at 600 watts each, but I don't really pay much attention to the rating. the bottom line is they are capable of delivering a lot of volume. The MB800 gets them to their limits very quickly. I have several ampeg heads including an SVT2pro and SVT4pro. Both of these are loud heads that can also push the cabs to their operational limits.

BUUUUUTTTT- the MB800 is a fraction of the weight. is a fractions of the price. gets louder faster. IMO sounds better. and is in most respects a technological light year ahead of my old lead sleds. Don't get me wrong- my 'pegs have their place in my stable. but the MB800 is the head that i've been waiting for for 20 years.

You can't go wrong with it. especially if powering 2 410s is your goal.
    ymmv- but probably not by much.
  17. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

An MB800 into any pair of 4x10's would be a bone-crushing rig. A paint-peeling, soul-owning, guitard-belittling gigantic pile of balls-on-the-table awesome.
  18. Fullback32

Fullback32

It most certainly is. MB800 paired with twin 410MBEs. Lovin' mine!

[​IMG]