GK MBF500 speaker cabinet options

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by skychurch, Aug 22, 2013.

1. skychurch

skychurch

Greetings,

I recently bought a GK MB-Fusion 500 Bass Amp and an 115MBE-II 1x15" Speaker Cab (400W, 8 Ohm). I play a Rickenbacker 4003 bass through it.

I really like the sound and am interested in getting a second speaker cabinet to go with my 115MBE so I can get the full 500W from the MBF500.

What speaker cabinet would sound best with my 115MBE?

The ones I have been thinking about are:
    1) 210MBE-II (8 ohm)
    2) 212MBE-II (8 ohm)
    3) NEO112-II (8 ohm)
    4) 115MBE-II (8 ohm)

This combination would give me 4 ohms at 500 Watts.

Thank you for your help,
    Jim
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

A 212MBE II could be interesting but the 115MBE II is your safest bet. The NEO112 II is a great cab but if you are a tweeter off player then the extra cash for the better tweeter and crossover would be wasted? No opinions personally on 210 cabs, I came from 15" to 12" drivers.
  3. eriky4003

eriky4003

Skychurch,
    The advice you'll get here is to match your current 1x15 for a lot of good reasons. (Just look up 'mixed cabs' threads).
  4. skychurch

skychurch

Ok, I did a search on 'mixed cabs' and read through numerous threads. Although there are some conflicting opinions, it does seem to be the general consensus that matches cabs are best.

So, please help me out with this. If I add another 115MBE-II, what will that give me (besides 4 ohms and 500 W)? Will it just be a louder version of what I already have (and do like) or will it add different tones like in the mid range?

How will two15MBE-II be different than one with my MBF?

Thanks,
    Jim
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Blankandson

Blankandson

You will soon be getting a LOT of good advice about going from one to two cabs.
    Going from 350 watts to 500 watts is a small percentage increase in 'loudness' but you will gain headroom and a more 'satisfying' sound.
  7. B-string

Expect louder and deeper. Is there something else you want in the mids? The 212MBE II has more balanced mids with the upper mids projecting better. From what I have heard the 115 is not lacking in mids?

The wattage will not increase your "loudness" so much but the added speakers most certainly will.
  8. Bredian

Bredian

yes, louder and deeper. Similarly, I'm using a pair of MB115 combos (400 watts total)... highs have never been missing. There's an authority, even when quiet.
  9. skychurch

skychurch

To my ears, the 115 is not lacking in mids at all (nor highs).

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I'll be 59 next month and my wife bought me a new Rickenbacker 4003 (which I've wanted for 40 years). It's my first bass and I love it. I then decided that I need a bass amp for my new bass because playing it through my guitar amps (at very low volume) sounded ... well, like crap.

I did a lot of research on the net and decided that the MBF500 would be great. At the store, I was only able to try it through a 115MBE-II and a 210MBE-II and I liked the 115 more (everyone else who heard it agreed). I'm guessing that the Rickenbacker 4003 is contributing greatly to the available mids and highs in the 115.

I was then thinking that by adding a 210MBE-II I would get the benefit of the 115 and the 210 but after reading numerous threads on this site, I realized that it doesn't quite work like that.

So, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I really like the sound of the Ric, MBF500 and 115MBE-II but thought by adding another speaker cabinet (which apparently needs to be another 115) I will get the full power/features of the MBF500.

I've heard great things about the Neo112 but they seem impossible to get and, as I learned, will not go great with my 115MBE.

At this point, I can get a great price on another 115MBE-II and am trying to decide if I really "need" it (or if it will really add to my sound - more than just volume as more volume is not what I need).

I thought I should add that I only play for fun at home and some local jams. I play rock, blues, funk, r&b styles mostly.

Thanks for all your suggestions,
    Jim
  10. B-string

Ah okay, think about it this way. If you didn't like that 210 as much on it's own why add it to something you do like? It's like squeezing a lemon you don't like that much on peaches you really like? It can work maybe and add "something" but maybe not be as good as the peach itself.
    Two 115's will align vertically and couple acoustically to act as one larger speaker (to a degree). They will reinforce each other. The 112 or 212 will not couple (again acoustically) as evenly at all frequencies, the angle of higher frequency dispersion narrows as the cone size increases. The 212 also has offset drivers instead of vertical alignment. Can it work well, sure it can and depending on the player may really like the matchup. You like the 115, double your pleasure/double the fun without guesswork. The difference between one 115 and 2 matching 115's brings a magic that is hard to describe.
  11. mbelue

mbelue

If you don't need more volume of say don't bother with another cabinet.
    Two of the same cabs will change the sound somewhat but not earth shattering change, IMO no. I mean this with as much respect as possible, learn to effectively use your eq. That will give you more "tone" than any speaker combination. Sounds like you've been playing guitar a long time so I'm sure this isn't news. I've heard some great players struggle to get a good sound out of great amps.
    You've already got a killer rig, go forth and rock.
  12. skychurch

skychurch

Thanks for all the comments guys. I really appreciate it. I'm still struggling with whether to leave my 115MBE-II alone or add another 115MBE-II, a 210MBE-II or even a Neo 112-II.

Someone at GK told me that the 210MBE-II should sound very good with my 115MBE but so would another 115MBE.

I'm just undecided so will have to think about it for a while. I'm not really in a hurry. It is a lot of fun to think about how to combine gear. I am in the process of building 2 pedal boards; one small (6 pedals) and another with 9 pedals.

> I mean this with as much respect as possible, learn to effectively use your eq. That will give you more "tone" than any speaker combination. Sounds like you've been playing guitar a long time so I'm sure this isn't news.

No, nothing new here. I've been tweaking guitars and amps for over 40 or so years. I've been told that I am one of the few "guitards" (ha, new term I learned on this forum...I think it's funny) that actually listens to the band as a whole and attempts to add to it. I"ve played in a lot of bands over the years because I do enjoy playing with (not against) other players. My 2 favorite instruments besides guitar have always been bass and drums. I've always said (and have proven numerous times) that if you can find a great drummer and bassist, you will have an awesome band, even if the other members are mediocre.

Anywho, thanks for all the suggestions. I am down to another 115, a 210 or a 112.

Here's what I've got so far ....
    [​IMG]

Jim