1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK neo 112-II vs. super 12's

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by basss, Dec 15, 2013.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

For those that have tried both

The few direct comparisons I've found say that the GK is pretty close to the performance of some the super 12 cabs that are out there. Looking for a bit more feedback. If you've used both the GK and one of the super 12's that are out there now - what do you think?

I've had the GK for a while now and am still pretty blown away by what it can do. I'm curious whether a greenboy, baer, audiokenesis, etc. is really gonna take it to the next level or just be another flavor of good.
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

A TBer posted a video here on this forum a while back of a F112 vs. NEO115 shootout, and despite what the reviewer said in the video, IMO the cheap inexpensive off the shelf G-K NEO115 cabinet blew away the very expensive boutique F112 cab (the F112 was nice, but as you say, it was just another flavor).

Do a search on this forum and you'll find it.

Cheers,
    Joe
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Thanks - I've seen that one. While I haven't played through the GK 115, from what I can tell from other posts and that clip is that the GK 112 is a different animal than the 115. More full range sound - less 'big speaker in small box'. I've owned enough of those to know what it sounds like.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh okay - well, the G-K 112s and 115s do sound different so YMMV.

EDIT: BTW: I "think" Tom from bass gear magazine (or whatever its called) has A/B compared his G-K NEO112 with some of the expensive boutique 112s and said/posted that they only sound different and that he likes his G-K NEO112 every bit as much - or something like that, maybe he'll post here.
  5. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper

The GK NEO115s have a more pronounced midrange than the GK NEO12s, which have a rounder tone to them. The GK NEOs serve my purpose well, but I think the higher excursion speakers will always hold an advantage in being able to reproduce the DEEPER lows (at volume) - if that is your thing.
  6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Two GK Neo 112 IIs stacked vertically are a clear winner!!!
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

bumpin this up
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, I am very fond of my Neo112-II's. IME/IMHO, they can hang with the best of the best 1x12's. Ultimately, some will prefer one model over another, and I'm not going to say that my GK's are better than my Bergs, or AudioKinesis, or fEARful, or whatever, but they are right up there, they are lightweight, and they are very affordable. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:
  9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Awesome - thanks Tom. :) :bassist::hyper::bassist: :)
  10. andreiscv

andreiscv Supporting Member

Do the GK 112 have the same voicing as the 115 in the video? I really liked the neutral sound of the fearless. The GK sounded cool at first, but I felt like I would get tired of that rock like grind going on in the mids.
  11. basss

basss Supporting Member

Thanks Tom. That relieves some GAS!

What might be the next step up the ladder in terms of volume and low end performance without sacrificing portability?
  12. basss

basss Supporting Member

IME no. As I said above the GK 112 sounds closer to the fearless - less of that midrange hump going on.
  13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

NO. The G-K NEO112 and NEO115 sound different.

BTW: The 112 sounded nice, but even with amp in the video EQed to favor the 112, I still liked the 115 better. IMO, the video was more of just a lame attempt to try and say or prove that a 12" driver can be louder and out preform a 15" driver, and despite what the reviewers said, the cabs just sounded different with the boutique 112 costing close to twice as much as the off the shelf 115.
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Add a second G-K Neo 112-II.
  15. basss

basss Supporting Member

really looking for a simgle cab solution.
  16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh okay, then replace your Neo112-II with a G-K Neo212-II.
  17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Bergantino CN112, AudioKinesis AC112, or Baer ML-112. But we start really splitting hairs, here. It's very much a matter of subjective preferences at this point.
  18. cableguy

cableguy

Sometime's it's really nice to have two cabs, but if you want just one and you're happy with the GK go with the same version but 2x12.

That said I did really like having a (2) 1x12 set-up. One cab for practice and most gigs, bring two for the bigger shows.....But to each his own.
  19. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

I refuse to play my gk neo212 standalone after playing 2x112 gk neos.
  20. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

:)