1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK Neo 212 or GB Neox 212. Help?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sdberman, Apr 10, 2014.

1. sdberman

sdberman

I play rock covers and am using a GK 700 RBII head. I'm looking for a good sounding lightweight easily transportable cabinet. I've decided to go 2x12 instead of 4x10. I can get a decent deal on a new GK Neo 212 (newer lightweight version) cabinet or for maybe $75 less, I can get a used GB Neox 212 (a few years old, the heavier carpeted version).

I want a cabinet that will pair well with the 700RBII, to give me nice tone and bunch, with good bottom.

i do however want to make transport easy and will on occasion need to put the cab in the back seat of my 4-door. The SB is about 8 or so pounds heavier, a little narrower and a bit longer.

Thoughts?

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I have the NEO212 II, use it with the G-K Fusion 550. It will do anything I need easily in spades. My 56 year old wife has no trouble carrying it from the house and loading it in the car by herself. The band loves it when I use it instead of the NEO412 because it is so easy to load in/out.
    All that said I have not played the Genz but interested in hearing/playing one. I like the vertical alignment, too bad FMIC has killed off the product line. Any troubles with Genz equipment you can PM agedhorse here on TB and he will get you handled if Fender repair network fails you.
    Down side to the Genz is you can't use the "Biamp" HMS with the 700RB II like you can with the G-K NEO. May or may not matter to you having control of the horn from the amp head. Two awesome cabs that you really need to try in person with your amp and bass to make an informed decision!

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I would go GK for the bi-amping feature and the reduced weight. Looks cool too, especially if you paint the grill black! (don't paint the badge though)

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

The Genz Cab only came in 4Ω, if you think that's as loud as you will ever need to be, it may work well for you. You would have the adjustable tweeter from the amp on the GK cab, and you could add another one later since they come in 8Ω.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

You will like the 212s.. I would go with the GK since it is lighter and matches your head.. They both are great cabs from what I have heard.

7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Love my GK 212. In retrospect, however, I occasionally wish I'd have gone with a good pair of 1x12s--GK or otherwise. But I can't complain about how it performs.

8. pbasswil

pbasswil Supporting Member

I had the 1 x 12 version of the Genz Neox, which apparently has similar tone to the 212.

I realize a lot of people love the Neox line, but it was not right for me -- it didn't sound like bass guitar to me. Too much detail in the mids & high mids, not enough whoomp in the lowest mids/high bass -- _for my ears_, I emphasize.
    But I found it very hard to dial in a traditional (old school?) sound.

GK always sounds a bit more rock 'n roll to me.

9. funkucan'ttouch

funkucan'ttouch Supporting Member

10. TC.65

TC.65

I have owned the GK 212 had it paired with the 700RB-II and that was an awesome rig. I now have the NeoX 212 paired with a different head and really like this cab also. If you can try before you buy that would be best as these two cabs will give you different tones. That said the full GK rig is what I would probably go with.

11. sdberman

sdberman

I decide to go with the GK. I've heard it said often that it has more of a rock sound!

12. pbasswil

pbasswil Supporting Member

Anybody know what a "pocket post" is?

13. scottfeldstein

I think it's like a pocket dial. Unintentional.

14. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

I think you made a wise decision, and I can say that with a degree of certainty...;)

[​IMG]

15. scottfeldstein

Dude, is that a 2x12 and a 1x12? I've heard guys say it's a winner, but it makes no sense to me!

16. Linnin

Linnin

I've chosen to go with twin Fender Rumble 112 Neos. They've been real winners all the way around. Almost identical cab design to GK, and the Eminence Neo woofs are killer. Light & easy to carry & load in/out. Sounds better than any 210 or 215 cab that I've ever played through. So a pair of GK 112 Neos are a sound choice.

17. bumperbass

bumperbass

How are you making this work? One 8 ohm 212 and an 8 ohm 112? :confused:

18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I think you probably would of liked either - but good choice. :bassist: