GK Neo 410 really muddy?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jimmeyer176, Feb 5, 2014.

1. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

Just picked up a GK Neo 410 and out on tour, this thing is VERY muddy, am I doing something wrong? I use a GK MB500 and Fender Jazz, I've heard they have heaps of mids but I'm just getting mud.

Very concerned, any help appreciated

I used the same setup with an Eden 410XLT last year and it sounded great, can this cab be that different?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

How are you EQ'd?

IIRC, the Neo 410 has a lot of low end. Try dialing back the bass quite a bit.
  3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

To me it seems boxy and "veiled" in the mids, rolled off in the deep lows and does not like loud SPL. It is definitely not very low distortion. I have used it as provided backline a number of times in our loud rock band. I compare it to asian made Ampeg SVT-410HLf and to 210/410 loaded with Deltalite II 2510.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    "Muddy" doesn't sound right. Of course, I would not call the Neo410 "mid-forward," and it does have somewhat pronounced lows. But mine always seems very clear and articulate.

Try setting the Bass and Treble on your MB500 to about 11 o'clock and both mids to about 1 o'clock. If that does not help, you may have a defective cab.

Oh, and make sure that the cab is not set to bi-amp mode, as the MB500 does not support this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

^^^ Also try this with the Contour and Boost off.
  7. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Just out of curiousity; if you find this cab articulate and clean, how loud do you play?
    Is it "everything my 500W amp had to give" or "moderate, I like to have some clean headroom left"?
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I typically use my Neo410 with a 2001RB, which of course has gobs of headroom. But I typically play to the volume of the drummer I am playing with, and I do like to have plenty of headroom.
  9. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Like Tom said, make sure the cab isn't in biamp, and, that the horn attenuator is set to about straight up.
    Set you MB500's eq to bass to about 10 oclock, and treble at noon, and hi and low mids at about 1-2 oclock.
  10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Thanks, Tom!
  11. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

Contour was the problem...now set at zero and sounds a lot better, last night I had a decent sound and much happier

Cheers
  12. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I think G-K should have done away with the Contour after the RB line and replaced it with a cut/boost at ~500Hz.
  13. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Yep,

They should have called it the get lost in the mix knob.