1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK Neo 410 -vs- Marbass 104HF

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jimmeyer176, Jan 16, 2014.

1. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

Thanks to my last thread I have narrowed it down to these two, my criteria is mainly volume and weight, and I'm running a GK MB500 head and expext to run at 4ohms. Fender Jazz Bass, passive pickups.

I will reiterate my main concern is volume and weight, not tone, but if I had to pick I tend to favor bottom end over mids. I'm up against 2 guitars. There will be a $180 price difference between the cabs.

Need to buy soon so any final comments greatly appreciated.

Which would you get and why? Thanks again!
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Neo 410, tends to be a little bottom heavy (controllable) but more even than the Markbass through the whole range. IMO $180 more to save 2 lbs is not worth it.
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I have the 104HF and I think it's a great cab.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you like lows and not mids the MarkBass is not for you, MarkBass cabs have a distinct low mid bump that cannot be ignored. I owned and gigged a 104HF for years.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I can't comment on the Markbass unit.

I own the GK Neo 410 and have been gigging with it for a few months now. I really like it. With my amp's EQ (GK 800RB) and the cabinet's attenuator (tweeter control), I can get lots of crispy zing or muddy thump and pretty much anything in between. It's not hard for these 56 year old bones to load it in the van. :smug:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  6. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

I don't dislike mids, can you be more specific about this 'low mid bump'...what does that mean in plain English : )
  7. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

Have you pushed this cab hard? Has it broken up? I will be pushing the cabinet relatively hard
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I own a pair of of the 410 Neos that I push with my 700rbII. They sound great and will handle everything you throw at them. I have no experience with the Markbass.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Let's use the MarkBass EQ as an example, it is divided in your lows, low mids, high mids, and highs (that is how it reads on my SD800). Boosting or cutting each one of those frequencies will affect your EQ. MarkBass heads put out a flat signal, once you put that signal into a MarkBass cabinet that flat signal gets a boost in the low mids as that is how the cabinet is voiced. All cabinets have a voicing, and MarkBass's thing is low mids.

I apologize I cannot explain it more clearly than that, somebody here can offer a much better answer regarding EQ's and the actual frequency #'s.
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Is the Markbass' mid bump similar to the mid bump that the Eden 410XLT has?

I tried a few different Markbass cabs last month---a 104HR, and a 210 and a 115 (separate and together). Of course, it was at GC, so, yeah:meh:........However, based on my limited in-store experience with those cabs, I really dug the LMT800 through each separately, and actually thought the 210/115 combination sounded great.

The 104HF is the cab that I was most interested in, but of course they didn't have one for me to try.
  11. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

I love my GK 410 NEO. I run a PF800 through it with a PBass and get classic pop and rock tones. Our catalog is pretty old, 50's through 80's mostly, and the GK delivers. I rarely have PA support and have no problems whatsoever filling modest and mid sized rooms and have done a couple of outdoor gigs with great results. I don't have any experience with the MarkBass, and as always, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!
  12. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

My preference is the GK Neo 410 cause it's significantly cheaper and comes with castors, plus I play a GK head. I guess like anything there will be different opinions, both cabs have Neo speakers, both are front ported, both are similar weight and rated at 800 watts. In theory they shouldn't be that different in terms of power and volume, so I guess it's just a push either way.

Anyone else?
  13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these cabs.