GK Neo 412,,,,, OR,,,, GK MB212 + GK MBP212 ????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Davyo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

So I have the GK MB212 series ll on pre-order (suppose to ship next week) and planned on getting MBP212 to chain with it,,,, but my dilemma is I'm so torn to go with that plan,,, or,,,get the GK Neo 412 and run it with my MB500.

What to do is making me lose sleep :help:

I know there is no way to compare the newer MB212 since it has not been released yet,,, and I even owned the first gen MB212.

Has anyone heard/played/owned the first gen MB212 or MBE212 that has also had experience with the Neo 412 to offer a comparison or opinion,,, Neo 212 or Neo 412 vs MB212 or MBE212.

Of course the main reason I'm interested in the MB's is the ease of transport and super light weight,,,,, and then the main reason I'm interested in the NEO 412 is for the chance that it might totally blow away the MB's for sound, tone and punch.

From all I have read and also with a thread I posted I know the Neo 412 is a killer cab (never heard or played one),,,,, and of course I have not heard the yet to be released new MB212,, only the first gen MB212.

Yea, I know,, I could go with two Neo 212's but I'm thinkin I would rather just pick between the Neo 412 or the two MB cabs stacked and chained,,,, besides, for the smallish gigs I already have that covered with my new GK MB115 series ll.

Moving gear is not a big deal for me as I have a little HHR panel truck (best gear moving vehicle on the planet) but is loading in and out of clubs and stages a pain with the Neo 412 ?

Anyhow,,,, sorry for my ranting questions,,,, perhaps I will go try and get some sleep.

Opinions would be very welcome.

Cheers
    Davyo
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    For my money, I would go with your MB500 and the neo 412. If you ever need/want to change cabs/amps you are able to. The combo and powered extension looks pretty sweet, but there is no separating the amp from the cab so to speak and the extension doesnt do much good with out the combo.

YMMV
  3. Davyo

Good points you make.

Cheers
    Davyo
  4. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I would also hold out on the powered extension. There is a rumor that they will be releasing some sort of pre that will drive the powered extensions. You might want to end up with one of those, and any number of the extension cabs.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction Supporting Member

Davyo,
    I follow all your threads cuz I'm a GK fanatic too. And i'm keenly interested in the micro heads and cab combinations as well as the combos and powered extensions.

I'm going to tell you what we both know you want to hear lol--- you just need to buy one of each of the entire GK line. you know you want to and so do I. That's the only way we're ever going to be satisified- when we can mix and match and have every little base covered.

So my response is- get the neo412 and the mb500 AND the mb212II and the mbp212. you will find a use for both and will not lose any more sleep.

It's the only way you are ever going to cure your GK GAS.

so just go for it

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  7. Warmuth

Warmuth Supporting Member

The 412 is easy to move around, if you don't have health issues like a bad back or such. Getting it on a stage is much easier than a 410. I wouldn't want to have to put it into a cramped vehicle but if you're rocking a van it should be np. I can't speak to a comparison to the other 12's but an mb500 would be a monster with that cab. I agree that a head/cab is a better way to go than a combo unless you are one of the fortunate few who has no GAS and can leave well enough alone when it comes to gear.
  8. Davyo

Too funny,,,,, I have thought about just getting both,,,, you have my GK addiction figured out,,,, it's a curse we have I guess.

What's funny is I do this with everything I buy,,,, if I'm at a take-out restaurant and can't make up my mind what to order I just order the two top food items and wait till I get home to decide which item to eat.

I have two vehicle's, a Hummer and a HHR panel truck because I couldn't decide which vehicle to buy, but I really only need one vehicle.

This buying two of everything is starting to cost me so I'm doing all I can to not end up with two more GK rigs :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Davyo
  9. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Here is another way of looking at it. How often are you ONLY going to want a 212 combo? For me it would be never if I had the option to expand it. Might as well go whole hog and just have the damned 412....
  10. Davyo

Sadly I can't leave well enough alone,,,, I have lost track of all the bass gear and bass's I have bought and sold over the years,,,, just hoping to get the rig I'm going to stick with,,,, but hey,,, at least I have narrowed it down to just GK stuff,,, no more Ampeg or Markbass stuff.

Cheers
    Davyo
  11. Davyo

Another great point you make,,, and that's funny,, how often would I want "only" a 212 combo,,,, I have to admit I never really thought about it with that perspective,,,, your little statement there might have just tipped the scales for me.

I keep hearing in my head,,,, go big or go home.

Cheers
    Davyo
  12. garagebassman

garagebassman

I had the MB212 I. Liked the power and low end, but preferred the fine tuning of the contour that the MB500 gives me so went that way. Got the MB500 and 212MBE I 8 ohm when they became avail 3yrs? ago and never looked back. Finally got second 212MBE I in sept.

I do like big cabs, but have never tried 412, i'm sure it's awesome.

I do have 212Neo I, and find it a bigger sound than the 212MBE, but not aggressive enough in the mids and upper mids for my taste.

if you like the MB500, maybe consider a pair of the 212MBE's ? just a thought.
  13. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    I use this rig and it's awesome. The 412 NEO is not that tough to wrestle around; it has good ergonomics, but it could use handles on the sides towards the bottom, to help with sliding in and out of hatches and back seats. The pair generates amazing volume, enough to make me wonder if I will ever get a chance to fully open it up.
  14. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Right!

This is rock and roll we are talking about here. I totally get your perspective of "wanting ALL the shiny toys" from a particular brand/designer. That is the way I am with greenboy cabs, just the sound that works for me.

Personally I think the GK 412 is the best balance of cost/weight/sound/asskickery in the line with a pair of 115 neo's a close second.
  15. mournblade

mournblade

The GK 412 is a great cab, I would definitely recommend that. No experience with the other.
  16. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

anyone know the crossover frequency for the horn?
    what I want to know is how high does it go without the horn.
  17. Davyo

Ok,,, after reading the feedback on my thread here I decided to keep my pre-order as it stands for the new MB212 series ll and then today I also ordered a Neo 412.

Talked to GK today and they just starting shipping today the new MB212 to their distributors so I should have the 212 late next week I'm guessing (purchased from Sweet Water).

I should have the Neo 412 late next week as well, ordered thru GC.

So late next week should be fun comparing the Neo 412 to the MB212 and seeing how well the 212 can keep up with the Neo.

Cheers
    Davyo
  18. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Handles cost $2.50.... best money I ever spent. Having a handle on the bottom like that helps you slide it up & down stairs on the rails really easy. With 2 people up narrow stairs, one had the top & the other has the bottom handle

Its really not that hard to move and everytime I play it it sound exactly the way I want it to. Its the controls on my amp & bass that need the moving to sound perfect.

Great lows too, despite that not supposed to be its strong suit

You did well man
  19. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member