1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK Neo 412,,,, thoughts, opinions, feedback wanted please

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Davyo, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Davyo

Davyo

I'm a long time GK junkie, have owned all the MB combos, and the Neo410 and Neo115.

It's new rig time and I've been really thinking about the Neo 412,,, problem is it would be a blind buy,,, I've never played or demoed one.

What are the thoughts and opinions from those who have experience with the GK 412,,,,, sound, tone, ease of loading, ect......

I would be running it with my GK MB500 head,,,, I also have a MB200 as a back-up.

Other options I'm looking at,, the soon to be released GK MB212 with perhaps the MBP212 powered cab.

I play 5 string bass's, pretty loud rock band, all size venues mostly with PA support.

I'm just really stuck between the Neo 412 or the MB212,,,,,, any thoughts, opinions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Davyo
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I like the 2xNeo212 well enough, theoretically, it's the same thing.
    You might ask this in the GK mega thread.
  3. sKyLiNe505

sKyLiNe505

Great cab! Its loud, tons of lows, great mids and highs. Easy to roll, but its missing side handles so it might be a problem for you to load depending on how you load it in your car
  4. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

LOVE mine, I installed side handles for $2 each

Bottom handle too. GREAT cab
  5. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

It seems to me that with any large cab, like a 4x12, that you'd want to be running with a LOT more headroom than an MB500 would give you. Perhaps an MB800. Or a 1001RB-II, which would be a far better match, IMHO.

Also don't see how you can straight-up compare a 4x12 with a 2x12. Practically any 2x12... :eyebrow:

MM
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    Is the 412 neo 2 separate chambers each housing 2-12s ? Is so that yes you can compare running to Neo 212 with running 1 Neo412.
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I didn't.
    I said 2x212; from the line, same manufacturer; tuned the same and everything. I just checked the spec sheet.

8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Best cab I have used/owned so far. I first used the cab with an 800RB, it was definitely not a waste of cab/head/or time.
  9. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Great cab. Had a mesa and gk 412 at the same time. Still have the gk. I run it with a mb fusion, svt cl, Walkabout. Always sounds good with any head I have ran.
  10. Warmuth

Warmuth Supporting Member

It's awesome. Blows away the 410 in every respect. The 410 is easier to put in the cab of my truck but the 412 is easier to load into the bed than the 410 is to load into the cab. It's also a lot easier to move around than the 410. Stage footprint is about the same so you're not taking up more room but now your speakers will be closer to your ear which is a big improvemt. I find the tone to be a lot better for my taste as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it with any of the smaller micro heads. I use a 1001rb and I love it but even as beastly as the 412 is the 1001 can easily overpower it.

I'd like the low end to hold together a little better at high volumes chugging on a low c but I think I'd have to head into fearful type territory for that. I'm also not using any sort of high pass which could potentially take care of the problem but I would bet I ask more of my cab than most people typically would.
  11. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

GK 12s are the best drivers I have ever heard. They have everything, balance, punch and lows without being boomy, especially with a 5er. As far as loading, I use a dolly to load both my 2/2x12 neos, so you might as well get one built in. If I were to do it again, now that I have my MB112-II/MBP12 bar rig, I would have bought a NEO 4x12 for my big room rig, I say go for it. Keep you eyes peeled on the bay. Ppls have been snatchn em up for around 6 bills. RMC will sell ya one for $899 with free shipping.
  12. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

but but but Bergantino has new 12s that cost triple the price, they HAVE to be at least 3x better right? Maybe a 9 page thread in a day will convince you that your ears must be lying...

Geez...

I'm glad We have companies like GK that let the product do the talking & sell gear for a reasonable price without hype.

Dont let the talkbass hype machine stop you from using your ears & not your eyes.
  13. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

LOL!!!! You be preachn to the choir here son!:D
  14. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Wasn't referring to you, sport. Was referring to the OP... :meh:

MM
  15. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The OP mentioned the combo MB212 not a unpowered 212 cab is in a NEO212 II or 212MBE.
  16. Davyo

Davyo

Correct,,, how ever it has crossed my mind wondering how two MBE212's would compare against the Neo 412 cab.

I did own the first gen MB212 and liked it very much but with that being said I don't recall ever having that "Ohhh ma god" reaction when I owned the MB212,,,,,,, from what I have read I might get that reaction with the Neo 412, but with doing a blind buy the only thing I have to go by is the comments here and other online sources.

For the record I just returned a SVT410hlf,,, it was very nice but I didn't get that "Ohhh ma god" reaction I was looking for,,,, and I also realized I really like the GK tone better than the Ampeg tone.

When I had the SVT410 I did get a chance to do a side by side comparison with my Neo 410,,in that contest the SVT was the winner but not by much,,, (I recently sold my Neo 410)

Many thanks for all the feedback from every one so far.

Cheers
    Davyo
  17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why? I run a 412 with all of my GK heads, and most on them are lower powered. It sounds great and can be very loud.
  18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

Buy with confidence. It's a truly great cab in every respect, including (strangely enough) portability, even though it is pretty large (but only 90 pounds). It sounds great at every volume. I wouldn't be too worried about chasing after headroom in the amp you use, either. A cab rated at 1200 watts dwarfs everything you throw at it anyway. My MB500 is more than enough to make this cab shake the ground cleanly.
  19. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    90lbs is pretty light, especially for a big 4X12. My old SWR 410 was 95lbs. Im sure my Marshall 412 guitar cab is about the same. Im not sure why all the sudden bass players became weaklings and choose weight over tone.
  20. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

^^
    Because we'd rather devote our energy to more creative activities than hulking boulders?

The choice is not between weight and tone. The exercise is an economic one: How best to manage finite resources of energy and/or space.

At 4:00am, after a gig, money in hand, I laugh all the way to the bed.

There are no points for making the same job harder.