GK Neo Query

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by IPYF, Nov 26, 2012.

1. IPYF

IPYF

Currently I'm using a Spector Legend Custom tuned to C. My amp is a GK1001rbii and I run a single 300w Trace 4x10

I recently got a call from my spine, indicating that we were in for a pretty serious break-up should I continue lugging my Trace Elliot cabinet up and down stairs in the studio and at venues. Suffice to say that I'm in agreement with my spine's assessment. I need something lighter.

The issue is that for my gig rig I need a minimum of a 4x10 otherwise I simply won't move enough air. I'm thinking about upgrading to a GK Neo Cabinet because they're apparently quite light.

I thought that I'd get the 4Ohm version and this would be a great pairing for the 1001. I went to my local store and the owner (who knows me and my usual volume level) considered me with a level of concern suggesting that what I actually needed was more speaker area and indicated that I'd pop a Neo with my rig.

So now I'm torn because trying to lug an Ampeg 610 or similar is just going to bork my back more, but I can't afford to buy a new GK Neo and crack or bash out my speakers. I've had a fking awful run with GK 15 inch cabs so I'm once bitten twice shy with this.

Suggestions? My back is obviously my priority in this instance.
  2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I would recommend comparing the Avatar Bass cabinets. They are a huge Bang for the Buck. I use a B115 & a B210 Both Neo's and I can carry One in each hand.
  3. IPYF

IPYF

Wow. I was almost instantly sold by the Avatar website, but even if they would ship to Australia I'd take a monstrous hit in freight.

1400w neo cab for $600?
    What's the catch. Does it sound like sandpaper?
  4. nickrs540

nickrs540

I like my NEO 4x12 quite a bit. It handles my low B pretty well and overall tone and loudness is great. It is also very light compared to my old 2x15, or 8x10 cabs I used to use.

I'm not ripped, but I can lift the neo 4x12 from the floor to the stage over the monitors with one arm( the sound guy really hated that one haha)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPYF

IPYF

Well if you've ever tried to lift an original Trace speaker you'll know what I'm working with. I'm surprised that the boat shipping them here from the UK in the 80s didn't sink.

but I also know I could never get the 412 in my car unfortunately.
  7. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I like the sound of My Cabinets. But I'm no expert on tone. I have trouble putting it into words. I just like the way they sound. They are clear and I hear every note distinctly. Sorry I missed that you were from Australia. I guess that could make it tough. Maybe 2 2X10 Cabinets wouldn't be that expensive to ship. I have had them for 6 years and no problems yet.
  8. Warmuth

Warmuth Supporting Member

I've got a GK 410NEO and while I believe it's fairly light for a 410 it's still a royal pain to lift around. I think the biggest problem lies in the fact that it's squatty. If you want to lift it you've got to bend over and there's just no good balancing point, you've got to heft it. If you've got actual back issues I would advise against that cab, it will stress your back lifting it no two ways about it.

If you can swing it go with 2 210's or 212's, perfect solution and now you're modular as well.
  9. IPYF

IPYF

I might email Avatar and see if they have any distro deals here. Might be work taking a look at even if it means getting a cab from interstate.
  10. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    After several years of lugging and old Peavey 215 around, I feel like I could lift my GK Neo 412 over my head, and throw it onto the stage during load in. It's less than 100 lb's and sounds amazing.
  11. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

A hand truck could help if you really like the sound of your TE...

=wr=
  12. IPYF

IPYF

I do like the sound of the Trace but it's not designed to deal with the 1001. It's only got 300w of headroom at 8 and the only reason I haven't mashed it is because it's built to withstand a nuclear bomb apparently. The only reason I got it was to run with a 2nd cab which was a Behringer and has since gone to god.

It's only a matter of time before either my spine or the Trace yields to circumstances and I'm not in favour of either outcome.

I wish I could go for the 412 but I can't drive it around. 2 of the 212s might be an option though. Additionally because I'd then be fully GK I could actually make use of the tweeter bi-amp which is currently of no use to me whatsoever.
  13. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Why go to a 4 ohm cab ?

Just thought I would point out (since it has not been mentioned yet) that there is barely going to be a difference between an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm version of the same cab.

You are on the right track with "moving air". Speaker area is far more important then wattage when it comes to getting loud.

Many times, the cab cannot make use of the extra power you are giving it, and it keeps you from being able to expand your rig in the future if you need it.
  14. socialleper

socialleper

I don't know how heavy your current amp is, but the GK 410 Neo is about 68lbs according to the web, which isn't feather light, but manageable. The 8 ohm cab is listed @ 800w and I have no idea if there is a 4 ohm. I had this cab for a few years and was pretty happy with the tone I got from it. The only reason I got rid of it was because I had bought a new car and forgot to check to see if it would still fit (I hadn't played out in years).
    It was nicely responsive like you would expect from a 410, with a solid amount of low end.
  15. IPYF

IPYF

So you're suggesting that on the single cab I won't see a difference between the 1001 running at 8 with 475w and running at 4 at the full 750w?

I wouldn't mind utilising the full rating of my head.
  16. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

You have to double your wattage output to realize a +3db difference. Your only increasing by 275 watts which will only give you a 1 to 2 db increase (barely audible) and that is even IF the cab can make use of the extra wattage.
  17. IPYF

IPYF

So if the 4 and 8 are the same wattage rating ie. 800. The 4 is going to be more likely to get hurt right?

= 475w into 800w of cab at 8 vs 750w into 800w of cab at 4?

Volume is not an issue. I have plenty of that from the Trace. Would there be no benefit of headroom from the 4ohm cab?
    I thought headroom was the whole point of a high rated amp.
  18. mouthmw

mouthmw

Dude, get 2 x 212 gk neo. I play 700RB II through gk neo 412 and it's the best rig I've ever played through. Loooove me my gk! Do yourself a service and go full GK.
  19. El Slap

El Slap

I've been gigging my Gk Neo I 410 for 4 years now and it's never broken a sweat. Solid, sweet tone. Not exactly light, but not even close to fridge weight, and it still gets plenty loud.
  20. IPYF

IPYF

Yeah. And look; price is an object. I've probably only got a maximum of 400 bucks of equity in my Trace Elliot. I couldn't get 2x 212s. They're a grand a pop over here.
  21. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

What Basspounder is saying re: 8 ohm vs 4 ohm cabs is 100% truth. As bassists, we get all hung up on amplifier wattage. (and wanting to squeeze out every last watt) But, that power is misleading, to say the least. The real game is in speakers, and yes, the actual useable volume difference between an 8 ohm vs a 4 ohm cab, all else mostly equal, will be so little, as to not be worth the bother. The real rub is being limited by a 4 ohm cab, with no chance to ever expand. If you can't do 2x 212's, I wouldn't go with one, as the 410 will be louder on it's own. Just find a good light 410 and run with it.