GK or Acoustic Image

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mikejdexter, Nov 8, 2012.

1. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Your opinion on choice of combo amp. I play mostly jazz.
    Which of these two combos would you go for to get the best acoustical sound from your D/B, would it be the GK MB150S or the Acoustic Image 'Coda'?
    Thank you.
  2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I've owned both and think either is great for DB. The Acoustic Image sound is warmer with quite a bit more low end. The GK has a more direct tone with more midrange. The EQ on the GK is probably more effective. I believe the Acoustic Image amp is more transparent, sounding more like whatever is plugged into it, however the downfiring woofer can make it tough to hear in different situations. I see that you already have the GK so you know what it does. Although the tone is more electric lots of people like it.

Personally, I love the AI heads a lot more than the cabinet design and have had better luck with the Clarus and various cabinets.
  3. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Thanks for the reply Greg. A very helpful reply to my question, regarding a separate head & cab. Being a giging D/B player what cab---nothing to big---would anybody recommend? (I'm chasing the 'Big Fat' sound).
  4. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

Search for Crazy8 and Crazy88 in TB. These are new cabs that are getting lots of praise, the first has a single 8" speaker and the latter two 8" speakers for more volume. Alternatively EA Wizzy 12 sounds great with an Acoustic Image head in my experience. There are (fortunately) quite a few alternatives these days and quite a few threads in the Amps section of the double bass forums to plough through to get people's personal expriences!
  5. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    Where are you located? If you could try one or both even for a few minutes, that would help. Talkbass people often let other TB members check out gear when they live in the same are. I've done this a number of times.
  7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Mike,
    If the GK is giving you enough volume I have really enjoyed my Clarus and Acme B-1. The B-1 does weigh over 30# but nothing I've tried comes even close to having the low end extension and warmth that it has. The Clarus is the perfect match.

That said, the Crazy 8 is an impressive cabinet. On lower volume gigs, bumping the bass a bit helps in getting a nice, warm tone but it needs an HPF to cut the low bass. Otherwise, the voice coil hits the magnet and that doesn't sound so nice. :rollno: The Crazy 8/Clarus together does sound much better and probably go louder than the MB 150S. I don't really know. The last GK I had was on long term loan from a friend and I've returned it.

A thought: The GK is capable a warm tone with a bit of knob twisting. In my experience, most of the tone comes further up the chain. Player, bass, pickup, amp. The amp can only work with what it gets.;)
  8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

I often use a AI Clarus head with a GK MBX cab. The best of both worlds.
  9. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Thanks everybody for your input. Mike