1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

GK pROBLEM

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Alvin_V, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Alvin_V

Alvin_V

I have had my GK for a few years. It seems, per the repair shop, that the fan has gone bad on my 700rb. Fans are usually warranted by MTBF (mean time before failure) at minimum should 20,000 hours. I know I have not used my amp for 20k hours. Amp is outside warranty but fan may still be within MTBF from the fan manufacturer. Who's fan do you use and what is the MTBF of the fan ?

2. David Jayne

David Jayne

Not sure if you're serious, but if you are, you shouldn't be....this isn't an aircraft.....

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

A new fan for your amp will cost about $20. Are you really going to pursue this? Isn't your time worth more to you than that????

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

MTBF is not a warranty at least that I have ever encountered in consumer or industrial electronics. It is "expected" service life that is usually also tied to "continuous" use or "power cycles".

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Alvin_V

Alvin_V

So.... We should check out a different amp ???? with better service responses.

7. B-string

If you think you will find anything different you might be in for a surprize, enjoy the journey? Expect disappointment. The last "lifetime" warranty I know of was Acoustic Control Corp. and they went out of business back in the 1980's.

You have received a "service response" from whom, where?

8. B-string

By the way I have way too many hard drive failures taking with them important (to the user) data at well under 50% of the expected service life MTBF. If the drive was outside the number of years/months warranty the drive manufacturer specifies guess what, your out of luck. No working drive and no data.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I think the GK warranty is two years; and, when I've needed help from them, they've been really helpful.
    If you haven't contacted GK customer service, you should. They might help you; but, they sure can't if you don't ask.

I have sure never heard of any amp manufacture extending warranty on a cooling fan in terms of MTBF......

If it were me, I'd install the GK $20 replacement fan, and get on down the road; especially if it's an amp that you otherwise really enjoy.

10. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
    Nothin but love for GK

11. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

+1

What do you have to lose there, OP? I'd say getting the part and replacing it would be far less hassle in the long run.

12. Alvin_V

Alvin_V

Yep, too bad the service center charges 90.00 an hour to replace a fan. Please pay attention to the issue, not blame and finger pointing.... Just use a fan that last longer !

13. mbelue

mbelue

Every single part in every single piece of equipment you own has a random chance at early death. Count your lucky stars its a small cheap part. Quit complaining about the cost of skilled labor if you can't do it yourself. If you can, just do it and quit complaining about the life of a fan.

14. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

Color me optimistic, but I can't imagine a fan replacement being THAT hard...I'd imagine some unscrewing and some wire-to-wire soldering would be all it takes.

15. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

I've owned six different GK amps in the last seven years. Four of them went through several years of heavy rehearsal and gig use, and only two of them were purchased new. Two of the previously owned amps were 700RB-IIs. Only one of my GK amps ever failed, and that was the result of someone else accidentally frying my Fusion 550 in the weirdest and dumbest of ways. The rest of my GK amps, I sold for various unrelated reasons (namely, to fund a GK Fusion 550 purchase, and later, a GK MB Fusion purchase), and although all of them had seen plenty of gig action, you'd be hard-pressed to tell.

I still own and use a GK amp as my primary amp because of how reliable they've been for me. Oh, and tone, too. :D

Even the most stringent testing standards cannot prevent the occasional premature failure of a part. If this was a more common occurrence among 700RB owners, I'd be concerned. As far as I've seen, it's not.

16. B-string

Well you are making quite a splash on your first post here? (Join date TODAY)
    Might I suggest sourcing your own if you have no faith in it being the odd occurrence.

www.mouser.com www.digikey.com are good places to start your search. Here are some pertinent specs for the fan:
    FAN, 24VDC, 160MA, 80X80MM

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I feel like it cost me $20 worth of time just to read this thread.

Buy a fan and replace it. You should be able to do it yourself. It's not that difficult.

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It's not that big of a deal to start, and the expectation that you'll receive any sort of free service is naïve. Electronic components fail- eventually, all of them will. Count yourself lucky it's a cheap fix and move on.

19. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note. Supporting Member

+1 on GK service. They answered the phone in English, were actual techs, and were wonderful to deal with, IMO.

20. IPYF

IPYF

It took me about 25 seconds to read this thread. Can I have your job? :D

21. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

The fan plugs in. Unplug the amp, get a screwdriver and replace it. It shouldn't be a difficult job.

Did you think that your fan is the odd one and cacked before its usual life span? Blasting a manufacturer for the failure of a part they didn't make is BS. In life, it's necessary to pick your battles. This one isn't worth getting your shorts all bunched up.